Chapter 13: It's Only Water

Water dripped from the rusty ceiling above the two women who sat across from each other in the small space. There was barely room to move as Norma with her eyes squeezed tight leaned back in her short chair bumping into June. 

"Watch it."

"Sorry."

June shook her head as she turned back to face the computer screen in front of her. Despite having lights above the pale blue light from the screen was the best light source in the room. June's fingers ran across the keyboard clicking as words began to scroll across the screen. 

Norma pressed the headset closer to her ear, "Hey June, are you getting this?" 

"SHHH! I'm trying to focus."

"Sorry," Norma said with a little shake of her head. 

June paused for a moment, "They're talking about Carly. Sounds like there's two of them." 

The two women were listening intently to the conversation between Rutherford and Jude.

June pushed one side of her headset closer to her oversized ear and tilted her head to listen, "Wait they said that she's doing the check-up now," 

Rolling her eyes Norma responded, "June, I'm literally listening to the same thing as you I don't need the play by play."

June put up her hand sassily as she replied, "Fine. I'll just stop talking."

The pair sat in silence for over an hour until they heard what they'd been waiting for. 

"June? Did they just say they lost the signal?" Norma asked looking up with her eyes widened.

Crossing her arms June ignored Norma. 

"Seriously?" Norma asked seeing June pouting Norma continued, "We don't have time for this." Rolling her eyes June replied with sass, "Yes, go call Joanie."

Norma sprinted out of the room down the short hallway with her body jiggling she reached out and knocked frantically on Joanie's door.

"Come in." 

Out of breath, Norma heaved as she opened the door and blurted out "It's time."

Joanie shot up and bolted out of the room. Bursting into the room Joanie looked at June and asked, "What's happening?"

"They lost the signal. We can call now." June replied quickly.

June held out a phone for Joanie. The phone was already ringing when Joanie put it up to her ear. It rang three times before there was an answer.

"Hello, this is the Frontline Insurance. How may I help you today?" asked the voice on the other end.

"Yes, I need to speak to someone about my life insurance policy." Responded Joanie tapping her fingers at her side.

"And what is your policy identification?" the voice asked calmly.

"Policy Identification: Sam, Alpha, Locus." 

There was a beeping noise as Joanie waited impatiently tapping her foot and looking up at the clock every few seconds. 

A different voice came through "Agent 22. What is the purpose of your call?"

"I need a secure line to an agent number 3712," Joanie replied moving her hand to indicate they were taking too long for her patience.

There was a click and the sound of light jazz played while Joanie waited for a secure line.

#

Carly was still standing in shock with water dripping down her shirt. She threw water at me. Who does she think she is. Who does that? That wasn't a part of the plan. 

Megan was speaking but Carly was in a daze of confusion. I can't believe sh...

Megan snapped her fingers in Carly's face and said. "Hey! You."

Carly shook her head and gave Megan a look of surprise.

Speaking quickly Megan continued "Now we don't have much time. I'll be quick. Joanie is going to be calling your phone. That's the only secure line. Now that device is likely rebooting right now according to the information Marj has. Now, where's your phone?"

Carly snapped herself out of her trance and fumbled for her phone in her pocket. It began to ring as she handed over to Megan.

Megan pushed the green button on the screen, "Hello?"

"What's the street address of corruption?" asked the voice on the other end

"1600 Pennsylvania Avenue." Replied Mrs. Garvey.

Joanie quickly spoke, "Ok, Megan we won't have long so I'll fill you in. John's safe. We'll protect him. Now we won't be able to make direct contact with you once you are on the inside. You will receive a letter with a device. You need to attach it to your right molar. It will let us monitor your vitals and track where you are. Next, you'll need to use Morse Code to deliver messages. Use your tongue and we'll pick up the code with the device. Be safe and best of luck."

"Ok, I understand." Replied Megan as she hung up the phone and handed it back to Carly. Without stopping to think Megan said, "Oh dear, I'm so sorry about that. I'm such a klutz."

#

Growing agitated Jude fumed "What's happening? Rutherford? You better get that device back up. It's been down for five minutes." He was standing over the small man watching his every move.

We don't have time for this. Come on. Get it back up. 

Panicking Rutherford replied "I'm sorry, Sir it takes time for it to reboot. The tech guys said it would take at least five minutes."

"Wait, Sir, it's back. Here I'll put it on speaker." Rutherford pulled out the headset and turned up the volume.

"Oh dear, I am so sorry about that. I'm such a klutz." Said Mrs. Garvey sounding sincere.

"Oh no, it's alright Mrs. Garvey." Replied Carly.

"Here let me get you a towel. I can't believe I spilled water all over you." Mrs. Garvey said in a soft tone.

"Oh thank you, Mrs. Garvey." 

"Are you sure you are alright?" asked Mrs. Garvey.

Laughing Carly responded, "Yes, it's only a little water no harm no foul."

Carly continued, "Well I should really be heading out. I have another checkup to attend to."

"Oh yes, I understand. I will see you to the door," responded Mrs. Garvey

The two men listened as Carly walked out of the house and drove away.

Sighing Rutherford said "See sir, nothing to be worried about. Only a bit of water."

Still, frustrated Mr. King leaned against his table with his arms crossed. "Yes, Rutherford I heard the conversation. Now I have nothing to bring to the board."

"Well, you still have the surveillance on the rest of his family. Perhaps Mr. Garvey will make contact." Responded Rutherford trying to ease Mr. King's mind.

If only it were that easy. I can only hope. I'm so screwed.  

Rubbing his forehead Jude responded. "Yes, but there have been no developments in a week. The Board wants answers and if they don't get them soon I will be out of a job and a life."

#

Hello, readers! I hope you're enjoying the story so far. If you liked this chapter, please consider giving it a vote. Feedback is always welcome.