Chapter 3: A Touch

Nathan watched from the rise all the people toiling in the fields with only a slight twinge of guilt. For four generations they had sat back, unable to do anything for the humans. When mage Morvin had said they would have to wait for another he had not realized that other would be long to come. Their new home was covered from Zarlo's searching; a haze of concealing magic that now clung to him outside of it.

They had been transported to one of the underground cellars a good six miles from the Center. He had taken the horses most everyday with the excuse of exercising them to look at his former home, now thrown down by all manner of tempests at Zarlo's hand. Even with their new place as comfortable as an underground chamber could be, it couldn't cover the loss he felt for the Center. The people had been enslaved and tortured until no resistance remained and they the silent watchers of it all.

He looked across the valley to that field where nothing yet grew. He had mixed feelings gazing at this place where four girls now studiously worked to break down the dirt clods. That trio, whom he'd always liked for their steadfastness and loyalty to each other, now had a fourth member and she confused him. He could have swore she saw him today on the ride up the road, better kept than it ever had been he might add. Thomas thought she'd seen him just last night. He said she had dreamt of them and the mage had been there, too. Perhaps she was the one they had waited for. If Morvin was visiting her dreams she must have some importance.

That moment he decided he'd keep an eye on her. He had nothing else to do really. Swinging up into the saddle, he smiled. If she really could see them, if not hear them, it might be fun to do some ghostly things. It had been a long time since he and Russel had played pranks on anyone. Time to loosen up.

A weight seemed to fall from his shoulders as he turned his horse from the ruins of the Center. He had to go find Russel. It would be a difficult task finding him amidst all those buildings. Russel never stuck to a track but wandered the whole city, sometimes every road in a day.

Riding over the rutted path the horse's gait smoothed out as if walking on a paved road. It was no surprise to Nathan. The Guardian Horses were gifted with different talents; this particular one could walk on air up to about twelve feet over the earth. The mages of centuries past had gifted the horses to the Guardians long before his time. And now he was glad of the faster travel. Skyler and he had found them while rummaging about through all the junk that was stored in their new place. Preserved in a way he'd never seen before.

The way she would run to his hand, always the first, whinnying happily, lifted his spirits as nothing else ever could. He connected to the horse in a way he'd never felt before. This white was spirited and the one he would always pick from the herd. He named her Blizzard for her very light, almost nonexistent, grey specks along her legs. And for her speed. She carried herself as if she were in parade continuously. She seemed to know when he entered the room. Made him feel happier, forget their problems for a while.

The corn rose about him, some acres shorter than other, having been started later. The food grown here and elsewhere was sent to the armies in ships, Zarlo stretching his reach to the last free lands. Hopefully soon Morvin's prophesied one would come before those lands were destroyed entirely. But he'd learned not to try rushing time.

The corn stopped and he could see the four girls far off in the fields. They'd made fast progress as always. It was like magic. If they were caught helping each other like this they'd be punished for sure. People now days were forbidden to help one another. That built unity and time for plans. But these girls did it anyway. Blizzard tossed her head, wanting to move on. She didn't mind stopping in the shade of the corn or in the hills to eat but to stop with no shade and no food seemed pointless to her. He squeezed her sides and at length got into town to start his search for Russel.