Chapter 38- Zarlo's Frustration

The disturbance in the east continued to grow, nawing away at nerves already raw from waiting. He knew who was behind this new disturbance. Knew him personally. Hated him. And now the old man wasn't alone. Zarlo had spent years planting the distrust of magic that now flourished overseas. Yet somehow Redrick Fields his old enemy and one time friend had bypassed that to train more magi. The man was insufferable. Couldn't just die like all the other old fools. Him and that blasted elf Royer Accar had avoided his assassins, his planned accidents, and all the fury he had thrown at them in the past. The other mage had all fallen, one by one and now he found there were more to contend with! Even so he could sense their weakness. Once Fields and Accar fell the others would be overpowered easily.

Curse that man! At least Accar had had the decency to hide away from everyone in defeat. Fields had wandered around for years destroying his lies, finally settling down in a swamp and bewitching the place so that every curious person could find him. Even then his assassins didn't stand a chance. Apparently Fields bewitching effected the animals as well for his last batch had all been killed by some enormous wild swamp cat. Only one had escaped to tell the tale. No price was high enough after that.

He slammed his fist on the stone table cracking it down the middle. The demons in attendance backed away from him, some hissing in fear. As well they should. The girl should have lost all hope yet he still sensed her strength. It had waned for a while but then bounced back up as though she were happy in a palace instead of the darkest corner of hell. He hated mage. Somehow they always came up with some shred of hope. And still no rescue attempts! That Guardian was out there somewhere waiting for who knew what. Zarlo had even let his guard down purposefully trying to lure him in but he hadn't taken the bait. Now his Eastern enemies bawled for his attention and he couldn't fathom why. There was no way they were in contact with each other, the disturbance too great and the ports all guarded by his demons searching for spies. The Questioners were always busy.

Zarlo paced the hall wracking his brain for a solution. His control overseas was weakening. He could feel his grip weakening on the pathetic human minds. Short of sending demons over there to terrorize them he could see no way to fix this. His commanders, whom he had promised much, were even staggering in their support. What HAD Fields offered them that was more tempting than riches and power?

He glared out the large windows at the city set between the hills. The stone would be his. The Guardian would come sooner or later. The man would have to save the girl for she was essential to all that the seer had prophesied over the years. If she died there would be no others magic born. He had weeded them out, killed all he found and all their offspring. This girl was random. A last ditch effort of the world to balance forces. He was tempted to go to the dungeon and kill her now. It would be so satisfying. But then the Guardian would have no reason to come and finding him would be impossible just as it had been over the years before the girl. He swallowed the desire bubbling inside him. He had to wait. The girl wouldn't survive much longer so he would come soon. And then the last stone would be his. Ultimate power. He would unlock the Under Gates and use the powerful creatures still locked there. Control over everything and everyone. No one would stand against him. Not even the old mage who clung to their hope. He would crush them and relish every moment. The city was painted red by the setting sun. Zarlo smiled as demons skittered out of his way. He would bring more beyond the seal to make certain of his plans. The east needed dealing with.

Far out in the city the people moved down the streets in large tides each heading toward their own designated homes. One small group had no such area but had eaten fairly well and now followed the tides this way and that till a suitable apartment was found. The roof was chill in the breeze but the high railings would hide them from any eyes on the ground. The girls were upset about their part in the planned rescue which was basically no part at all. The men would capture this certain demon and they would watch it to make sure it didn't escape until they saw the signal meaning the Guardians had succeeded. Then they would meet on the edge of town and they'd all head to the coast where Gideon would have the birds waiting to take them back across the water. Zarlo would give chase. He would have to. Demons would pour into that beautiful land and destroy as far as they could get. But that was where their support was so they had no choice. The plan had been made whilst the girls slept. They'd had no say on the matter, probably the reason they'd picked that time to plan. The mens argument made sense. Gideon wasn't going in with them either. The Guardians could be invisible, an essential ability for their plan to succeed. In a few hours they would spring their trap. In a few hours all their fates would be decided. Either they got Brielle out or Zarlo won.