Chapter 20: That Bird

It didn't take long to discover it was hopeless. Zarlo sighed in frustration, taking out his rage on three unfortunate road workers who didn't move fast enough. He watched them melt, finding little solace in their screams. His failure was complete. The Guardian was gone, his trail disappearing just as it had so often in the past. There was nothing to follow. He had lost his chance. The western hill loomed before him, the rubble glittering across the hill. He would have buried it completely but he had promised himself he would spread his enemy's remains amid their ruins. The Guardians and the cursed mage. A little girl. He had underestimated her greatly. Hadn't seen how her talent had developed or where her imagination might lead her. The three other girls and three of the Guardians had been transported somewhere he hadn't been able to find. Now it was just those two...

His eyes narrowed as he remembered failing to capture her at her first sighting. The man he had killed, the woman who had been so sweetly devastated. She had disappeared as the four girls had yet she hadn't been in the Guardians pad when he had entered. He turned around, almost running toward the apartment he had left the Others to guard. They weren't supposed to kill anyone who showed but he shouldn't have trusted that. The woman was the mage's mother and perhaps the only bargaining chip he had left.

He slowed to a stop as something in the air stirred him. It wasn't the Guardian and it wasn't the mage. He had felt it before when he had gone overseas to fix a problem in the fighting. It had been along a river, few trees dotting high banks full of holes where small birds had flitted about. It had been the birds what disturbed him then. It was that same feeling. He looked around trying to pinpoint exactly where it was coming from. He slowly looked up toward the roof of one building. The sky was darkening but on the roof he could see a slight glow just as the birds had along the river.