12 || Uncertainty

Fear gnawed endlessly at Newt's gut. They were not back. They were not back and the doors closed in less than five minutes.

"What happens if they don't make it back?" Thomas kept questioning him.

Newt had replied — as much to reassure himself as the Greenie. "They'll make it."

"Shouldn't we send out a search party?" Thomas suggested.

"We can't, it's against the rules," Newt hissed, the boy's questions were making him lot more agitated than he already was.

"Won't the Grievers get them if they stay out there? I mean, we have to help them."

"Shut your hole Greenie!" Newt yelled, "You've not even been here a week. You think I wouldn't risk my life for them, my friends?"

As soon as the words left his mouth, he regretted them instantly. Newt knew that he was only trying to help. Thomas struggled for something to say.

"Look Tommy, you don't get it yet. If you go in there, you might as well throw your life away. All three of 'em swore an oath, like we all did. You, too, when you go to your first Gathering and get chosen by a Keeper. Never go out at night. No matter what. Never." Newt's mouth felt dry as he finished. He couldn't bring himself to say it out loud. It would only make it seem more real.

Chuck voiced what he was thinking. "Newt won't say it. So I will. If they're not back, it means they're dead. Minho and Y/N wouldn't get lost. They've been running it from the very beginning. Impossible. They're dead."

Newt turned away and stared pointedly at the Doors. He couldn't bring himself to look at the Greenie. Three of his best friends were most likely dead. Words could not describe the empty feeling that had nestled its way into his heart. Newt's eyes filled with tears and he struggled to keep them from falling.

"Doors close in one minute," He said solemnly. There was still a sliver of hope. They had got back late before, but they weren't going to look for a dead Griever then. Anything could have happened.

A loud rumble echoed around the Glade. The Doors were beginning to close. The flicker of hope that had remained was slowly fading, like a candle burning down until there was nothing left for it to cling to. So Newt turned and began to walk, defeated, back to the Homestead. He couldn't bare to watch.

Then the impossible happened. "Newt!" He heard a scream from behind him. "They're coming, I can see them!"

A new sense of hope was suddenly burning bright inside him as he turned to face the Doors once more. Sure enough, there was Minho, Alby and Y/N.

But something was wrong. Alby was being supported either side by the other two. He wasn't moving. Newt broke into a hasty run towards the edge of the Glade, as did the other boys.

Everyone was shouting and yelling words of encouragement. Some yelled that they should leave Alby. Newt knew that they would never abandon their friend.

Panic began to set in again. They were too far away. The Doors were moving too fast. Sweat was dripping off both of their faces as they tried desperately to move faster. It wasn't enough.

Something caught Newt's eye. The Greenie was staring down the corridor with a look of determination. Then, it dawned on the second in command what was running through his mind.

"Don't do it Tommy! Don't you bloody do it!" But his efforts were futile. As the Doors rumbled closed, Thomas slipped through the last remaining gap and into the Maze.

~~~

I used some of the lines in the book. Okay? Okay.

Hope you enjoyed!

Please vote, comment and follow.

Thanks,
~Hellz-Yeah