29 || A Face from the Past

Your POV:

You made a move to run after Alby but Newt held you back and shook his head. "If this is what he needs to do. . ."

"It's suicide!" You protested angrily, trying to move past him.

"He'll be okay," Minho agreed, "Bedsides, we should probably get some sleep."

Half-heartedly, the group before you nodded and you reluctantly agreed to let Newt lead you over to his bed. The others settled uncomfortably down under their own blankets and tried to get some sleep.

You lay down next to blonde boy and he pulled you tightly into his chest. With your face nestled warmly into his chest, Newt lightly kissed your forehead and closed his eyes. You did the same, allowing yourself to drift slowly into an uneasy dream.

~~~

It was the screeches that woke you. They woke everyone. Moans, louder than before, sounded as though they were right outside the door. Scrapes and the banging of metal in wood drilled right into the corners of your mind.

The sudden deafening sounds came without warning.

Everyone sat up, fear dancing in their eyes. Newt held you tighter than ever before. You were all waiting for the one inevitable outcome. 'How could any of us escape this?' Your mind chanted over and over like a sick mantra.

No one really knew what to do. Through the slight cracks in the planks of wood which made your home, occasional shadows flitted by. Encircling the building. Waiting and watching for a feast.

A clatter from outside caused everyone's fearful gaze to turn to the door on your left. For a few moments, nothing else happened. Then someone shoved it open with a loud bang.

A collective gasp of surprise escaped everyone's lips as they saw the boy stood in front of them.

It was Gally.

The boy who had once been your friend. The boy who had blamed Thomas for everything. The boy who had gone missing in the Maze. He was back.

He looked insane. More than insane, but you knew of no other word that could describe the thing which stood before you now.

His clothes were merely filthy rags hanging off his muscled body. They clung to him like the last leaves clinging desperately to the trees in Autumn. Bloodshot eyes stared past the terrified group of teenagers. They burned with all the anger and hatred a man could possess.

"They'll kill you!" He seemed to be snarling and growling, like a mad dog set loose. "They'll kill all of you, one by one, till you're all dead!"

He advanced into the room. All eyes followed him. Heavily limping on one leg, he stopped in front of Thomas.

As you gazed into the eyes of the boy you had once known, you saw that nothing was left of him. Nothing was left of Gally. Nothing was left of the angry boy who, for some reason, decided to befriend you. Despite what everyone had said, he had cared — underneath it all. Any trace of humanity has disintegrated like your memories had the day you woke up in the Box.

"This is all your fault!" He spat at Thomas, his crazed eyes not quite focusing. He lunged forward, attempting to reach him but Newt jumped up to shove him away.

"It can't be solved. You're all going to die here. One by one. They don't care!" His voice oddly quiet.

"Gally, sit down and shut up. There's a shucking Griever out there," Newt hissed in panic.

"You don't get it, do you? You're already dead. Nothing can save you." He launched himself at the door, flinging it wide and beginning to destroy the surrounding wood.

"No!" Newt cried out and ran forward to restrain him. You and Thomas threw yourselves across the room to help.

The Griever encircling the building stopped on the other side. With a low, menacing moan, the shadow of the pulsating body moved towards the open door. . .

~~~

Hey, hey, hey! Hope you liked it.

I tried to change it a bit from the book but this is an important part so it's quite similar sorry. Especially the dialogue, which I did change a bit, but more credit to James Dashner.

Thank you for 16k reads! They have been increasing dramatically recently so thank you.

Hope you enjoyed!

Please vote, comment and follow.

Thanks,
~Hellz-Yeah