27 || The Nightmare Begins

Your POV:

The sudden enormity of the situation hit you like a brick. You had quite enough experiences with Grievers for a lifetime. A silence filled with fear and dread crept from every corner of the darkening forest. Nobody moved. Nobody spoke.

Newt reached over and gripped your clammy hand with his. He, too, was trembling slightly.

"I want her locked up now! Put her in the Slammer!" Alby shouted, pointing a shaking finger at the girl..

Thomas looked taken aback. "What are you talking about? How. . . How can you possibly blame her for what's happening?" He tried to plead but you knew it was useless — she had pretty much admitted it and Alby wasn't one to forgive lightly.

Newt stepped forward, without releasing your hand, and voiced your thoughts, "How could we not Tommy? She practically just admitted it."

Thomas glared angrily but dared not defy.

"Just be glad you aren't going with her," Alby spat, escorting the girl out of the forest.

~~~

Chaos. The only word which even came close to scene in front of you. Everyone was in utter panic; the threat of the Grievers loomed and the sky was darkening by the second.

Attempting to create some form of order, you, Newt and Alby tried to organise the groups. The Keepers were in charge of their group and we tasked with getting them into the Homestead as quickly as possible.

The builders were trying to construct some form of a barrier to attempt to hold back the onslaught of murderous creatures but given the situation you found yourself in, it looked flimsy and pathetic. There was no way it could hold them back.

You joined Minho, your Keeper, in collecting weapons to put in Homestead where everyone was going to sleep tonight — not that anyone could rest in their current panicked state.

You spotted Thomas standing by the Slammer, obviously in deep conversation with the girl. You started to feel sorry for her, trapped down there in this panic and confusion, but, as you thought about it, she was most likely safer than anyone else.

~~~

It was almost time. Even the most scared of the Gladers were silent now. But this silence spoke their fear better than ever before.

Darkness had fallen, casting elongated shadows onto the grassy floor.

The last of the somber Gladers, Newt included, entered the Homestead. The second in command spotted you and hurried over. It seemed foreign to see his face so distressed. He had always been the one to hold you all together. The one who could never fail to make you smile when things looked dark. But not tonight.

As the first groans of the savage killing machines reverberated around the Glade, a sudden jolt of terror went through you.

The Grievers had come.

~~~

Merry Christmas everyone! Hope you have had a wonderful day!

Thank you so, so much for 10k reads! This is an amazing milestone for this book and we couldn't have done it without each one of you. So thank you again!

Hope you enjoyed this chapter!

Please vote, comment and follow.

Thanks,
~Hellz-Yeah