16 || Unexplainable Arrivals

Newt jumped and he noticed Jeff do the same. Everybody in the Glade had swivelled their heads around to face the Box Hole in confusion.

"What the hell is going on around here?" Jeff muttered.

Newt shrugged — he was wondering the same thing. From behind, he heard the door creak open, revealing Clint's sweaty face as he peered around the corner. He strode over, his face showing a similar look of confusion.

The boys inhabiting the Glade had begun to tentatively make their way towards the centre. Everybody was talking amongst themselves, wondering what to make of the recent events. Newt, Jeff and Clint joined the group of boys and, from a distance, they could see that Thomas and Minho had risen from their hammocks, woken by the sudden noises.

No one knew what to do as they waited apprehensively for the arrival of the Box. The mutters had died down and a painful silence followed.

Gally looked around in angry confusion; his accusing eyes found Thomas. The second in command had pushed to the front of the crowd and shot the builder a look to stop him from yelling. Gally folded his lips tightly into a thin line but remained silent.

The pulleys which yanked up the Box were slowing down. Nobody moved. Nobody spoke. With a familiar clang, the metal cage stopped moving. The Gladers watched in anticipation as Newt and Gally positioned themselves on either end of grates and gripped the handles.

With a fierce pull, they came free. Gasps ran through the gathered boys as they struggled to get a glimpse of what was inside.

"No way. . ." Someone breathed.

It was another girl. Newt jumped down beside her. She wasn't moving. He wondered whether she was even alive.

As if someone had broken the trance, everybody began to talk at once.

"Another girl?"

"Why now?"

"After all this time?" ("Always." I regret nothing. XD)

"What does she look like?"

"Two newbies in less than a week." Gally turned and pointed accusingly at Thomas. "What the hell's goin' on round here. Everything went wrong the moment you arrived."

Thomas turned a bright red and began to stutter, "What—? How—? How am I suppose to know?"

"Gally. . ." Newt said in a warning tone, "Drop it. Besides, we've got bigger problems." He paused before continuing, "I think she's dead."

With hastily fashioned ropes, the boys — led by Newt and Gally — managed to get the unmoving girl out of the Box. Everybody clustered around her lifeless form.

"Greenie, get over here," Gally ordered.

Thomas obeyed, keeping his eyes trained on the ground as he stepped forward.

"Do you know this girl?" Gally pointed down at the pale body between them.

Newt shook his head but didn't intervene the interrogation.

"What? Of course I don't. Why would I?" The newbie protested.

"I think you're lying shank," Gally snarled, "Can't be a coincidence. You must know something."

Before he could reply, a sudden movement caused everyone to jump. Newt involuntarily took a step back, as did some of the other boys. Her eyes were wide and she was breathing heavily, staring up at the surprised group.

Before anyone could speak, her quiet but clear voice rang through the shocked silence. "Everything is going to change."

Without any further explanation, she collapsed back onto the floor and grew still again.

Newt could now see that she had something clutched tightly in her fingers. Leaning forward, he prised it gently from her hand and opened it slowly.

Five words were sprawled across it in clear black ink.

SHE'S THE LAST ONE. EVER.

~~~

That's the last one that's not in your POV hopefully. I used similar lines from the book but I changed it a bit with Gally instead of Alby.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed!

Please vote, comment and follow.

Thanks,
~Hellz-Yeah