Family Dinners

are extremely awkward when you're the odd one out..

What is this? A filler? I don't even know 😩

Anyways..

Leave comments/questions/etc.

happy reading!!!

10| family dinners

The room was bright and the sun was high in the sky. Sunlight came pooling through the space between the curtains. The light was shining on the two people who lay in the bed, both oblivious to the start of the day. Ava was the first to wake of the two. She was laying on her back with her head turned to the left when she woke up. Stretching and blinking her eyes open, Ava looked to her side to see Tom asleep next to her.  She studied Tom silently for a few minutes while he still slept. She noticed the circles under his eyes weren't as dark and his cheek bones didn't stick out so much.

The time he's spent here benefited him more than we thought

Ava studied the way his dark hair waved perfectly even when sleeping, his calm breathing, the way his lips barely parted. The thing she really noticed was how peaceful Tom looked. His face was completely relaxed with no trace of distress. He was vulnerable, an unusual occurrence. She couldn't imagine anyone has seen him this way before. Noticing how bright it was, she also realized they had slept in longer than normal. Looking back to Tom, she noticed him move his head slightly.

Just as Ava reached out to move a piece of hair from his face, Tom began to stir. She quickly retracted her hand and waited for Tom to open his eyes, hoping he didn't notice. He shifted and furrowed his eyebrows which disrupted his smooth features. It took a few seconds for Tom to realize where he was when he opened his eyes. When he did, his eyes snapped up to meet Ava's.

Ava gave him a sleepy smile, "good morning."

"Morning." Tom's voice was hoarse from sleeping.

Tom still looked unsure about how to feel but Ava decided to act like nothing was wrong. "How did you sleep? We must have fallen asleep at some point."

Tom squeezed his eyes shut and opened them again. "We must have." He looked around noticing how light it was in the room. "What time is it?"

Ava shrugged, "not sure, it must be late morning at most." Sitting up, Ava stretched her arms above her head. "I do know I haven't slept this late in a while."

Tom sat up and leaned against the headboard. "Neither have I."

"I suppose we should get up. My mother is probably wondering about us." Even with saying this, Ava stayed in her spot.

Tom met Ava's eyes again and only nodded. Holding eye contact, Ava reached out and pushed the hair from Tom's forehead. She noticed the tinny wince he gave but pretended no to. Tom was the first to break contact by moving the covers away from himself and getting out of the bed. Knowing he would hole himself in his room, Ava decided to coax him out before he opened the door.

"I know its uncomfortable with my brother, but it would be wonderful to have you with us for dinner tonight."

Tom stopped, hand grasping the doorknob, and turned back to Ava. "I'm not sure if that is a good idea."

Ava sat on the edge of her bed facing Tom, "It will be fine. Come to dinner tonight...please?" Tom stayed silent, unsure of his answer. He looked back at Ava opening his mouth to tell her no but froze when he looked at her face.
Ava gave him a pleading look, "please, Tom."