Facing Reality

Oh...did you guys think we entered the main romance of the story already? Well, sorry, but...we have to wait a little longer. Oops!

Listen: Donatella by Mac Quayle

35| facing reality

The next morning, Ava was sitting in her bed already dressed for the day. All she was doing was staring out the small window that looked into the lake, lost in thought. Her mind was still replaying last night. The immense happiness she felt when she went to bed had melted away that morning to a sickening anxiety. She almost dreaded seeing Tom, not sure of how things would be between them.

Mia stopped in front of Ava, waiting to be acknowledged. Ava slowly turned her attention to her friend. "Are you going to stay here all day, or do you want to get breakfast?"

Ava sighed and tried to give a smile. "Sorry, I'm just a little tired."

"Well maybe you shouldn't stay up so late," Mia said with a suggestive tone.

"Yeah, you're right."

Mia watched Ava get up and head to the door. "That's it?" Ava turned back and lifted a brow. "You're just agreeing with me that easily and walking away?"

Ava sighed. "You're acting like I'm keeping something from you."

"Because you are," Mia said matter-of-factly as she crossed her arms. "So what gives?"

Shrugging to stall momentarily, Ava tried to think of a response. "Tom and I went to the astronomy tower to get away after what happened." Mia waved for her to go on. "We just stayed out longer than we should've."

"And?"

"And what?" Realizing Mia wouldn't let it go, Ava leaned against the door in defeat. "We almost got caught before Tom pulled us into a hidden alcove."

Mia's brows shot up, thoroughly interested now. "Then what happened?"

"Well we, I...sort of...kissed him."

"What!"

Ava flinched at Mia's shrill tone. "It's not that big of a deal."

Mia stuttered a bit. "Not that big of a deal?" She went over to Ava and grabbed her by the shoulders. "This is huge," she said loudly as she shook Ava with a little too much enthusiasm. She backed away with a smug smile when Ava pushed her hands down. "So what does this mean?"

"I don't know."

"You," Mia started in confusion, "don't know?"

Ava shook her head. "We came back here and I told him goodnight."

Mia blinked a few times trying to process what her friend said. "So you kissed Tom and then acted like nothing was out of the ordinary?"

"I didn't know what else to say," Ava said defensively.

"Oh, maybe something like 'hey that was great, let's do it again' would've worked." Mia shook her head in disbelief. "I mean clearly you two have a thing going on, so I don't see what the issue is."

Ava's brows furrowed. "We what?"

Mia rolled her eyes. "Oh come on. You two have gotten awfully close recently." She crossed her arms and leaned against her bed. "Admit that you like him, it's alright."