Birthday Wishes

I hope you guys aren't getting bored yet. Because we still got quite a bit left before the end of the story (well the end of this story at least). Also, I know it took me a while to update. But I injured my hand and it wasn't easy to type....but I'm back!

Listen: the Phoenix by Lindsey Stirling

38| birthday wishes

Ever since Ava was trapped in that house and witnessed her father's friend get killed in third year, she's had the most vivid dreams. They didn't happen often, and usually only after something emotionally significant. Coincidentally, they've happened more since Tom became a part of her life. Usually she was haunted by versions of what happened that day or something else horrifying, such as the recent ones involving Tom and Voldemort. Last night's dream was a good one for once; her and Tom were together.

Which is why Ava was currently laying in her bed staring at the ceiling with a ridiculously giddy smile on her face. She honestly felt this way after every time her and Tom kissed or had a special moment. But the kiss they shared last night was on a new level of euphoria. There was no denying the connection they both felt, and have felt over the last few months.

But as much as Ava liked to dream, she couldn't avoid reality. She truly couldn't say that Tom would ever feel the same way. In fact she knew he couldn't. And she didn't know whether she accepted that or not yet. She could feel the difference in him compared to the first day they met, there was no denying the change. Tom wasn't as cold or harsh. Reserved yes, but far less distant than before. But that didn't mean he would automatically be open to getting closer with her.

With that thought in mind, Ava got up to get ready for the day. It was still pretty early but she could already hear her mother downstairs. She wouldn't mind having some time with her mother just to think about something other than Tom for once. So after she was ready, she went down to find her mother sitting in the kitchen reading. Her mother smiled when she saw her enter the room and put aside her book.

"Good morning," Gwen stated cheerily.

Ava smiled in return and went about starting a kettle for tea. "Good morning." She glanced at her mother once she filled the kettle with water. "Tea?"

"I would love some." Gwen waited for Ava to sit down across from her. "You're up before everyone, besides your father of course."

"He had to go in early I'm guessing," Ava asked in slight interest.

Gwen nodded while crossing her arms against the table. "He wanted to get caught up on some of his work so he doesn't get behind when the new year starts."

"That makes sense."

Gwen hummed, "I think he'll come home early though since it is still the holidays."

Ava smiled slightly. "That's good." The tea kettle started to whistle then and she got up to get it. "He doesn't like to miss too much around here," she said off-handedly.

Gwen got up to grab them two mugs. "Sometimes it can't be helped unfortunately." She handed Ava her mug as she sat down again. "He's a busy man."

"I can't imagine being in his position," Ava said softly as she mixed cream into her tea, "especially after everything that happened recently."

Gwen sighed at that. "Being the head of the Improper Use of Magic office certainly isn't a job for everyone." She took a drink of her tea and nonverbally charmed the small tray of muffins over to them from the counter. "I know I wouldn't want to do what he does," she said casually.

Ava nodded along with her and grabbed one of the muffins. "What about what you use to do at the Ministry?"

"In the department for Magical Creatures?"