An Adventure

Hey..so it's been a while

But! This chapter is a little more interesting

To keep you guys entertained while you wait for the next chapter after this since idk when that will come out. Tell me what's unique about this sentence: "Sit on a potato pan, Otis."

Leave comments/questions/etc

Happy reading!

11| an adventure

June 1998

The first few days of the month were relatively uneventful in the Merin household after Emmett left. Ava has been spending less time around Tom since the dinner the other night. Tom, however, stayed true to his promise and joined more meals. Gwen was thrilled when he went to dinner the next night. Ava didn't seem to feel the same; Tom's attendance allowed Emmett all the opportunity to continue making inappropriate comments during his stay.

Today was different. Ava spoke directly to Tom that morning, asking him to meet her outside after breakfast. He overheard her mention to her mother something about a trip, so he assumed that is what she needs to speak with him about. They were currently seated at the table finishing their meal. Tom had been watching Ava push food around her plate for the last five minutes. She caught him looking and gave him a small flash of a smile.

At least she isn't completely ignoring my existence.

Tom almost felt bad for Ava, almost. They both knew her brother wasn't being serious with his comments. But they still obviously bothered her. Not that Tom didn't find Emmett's comments to be highly improper, he didn't see the point in fussing over it.

Realizing he had been staring too long, Tom moved his focus down to his own plate that was nearly clear. If he ate any less Gwen would not allow him to move from the table. She claimed it worried her how little he ate. Tom only looked up again when Ava stood from her chair. He watched as she cleaned off her plate and placed it in the sink. Turning around, Ava caught Tom's eyes again.

Ava bit her lip before speaking to him, "Can I speak to you after you're done?" Her eyes flashed briefly to the others noticing their attention was on her, "outside."

Tom also took notice of their small audience. He turned his attention back to Ava, "Yes, of course."

Ava nodded then left the kitchen. Tom shifted in his chair and cleared his throat. He looked at Gwen seeing she was already looking at him. "May I?" Tom pointed towards the door.

Gwen gave him a smile. "Go ahead," she said while nodding her head in the direction of the door Ava escaped through.

Tom gave her a polite smile and thanked her. He then got up and went in search of Ava. When he found her, she was sitting outside on the porch. He quietly opened the door and knocked the back of his hand against the doorframe to get Ava's attention. She jumped slightly at the noise, but calmed when she found the source. She waved Tom over to her and patted the spot next to her on the swing.

Tom slowly made his way to her and stiffly sat straight against the back of the swing. He also made sure to put a decent amount of space between them. He placed his hands on his legs, looking at Ava in question. "You wanted to speak with me?"

"Yes," Ava looked down to fiddle with the hem of her shirt, "I was thinking of planning a little trip out. You know how Lizzie has been about going somewhere.."