Vertigo

Alright friends. I hate to put this long of a note, but I need to address this. I am 100% done dealing with comments regarding Ava's intelligence in The Girl and Tom Riddle or Voldemort. To put it simply we need to stop assuming everyone knew who Tom was, or the fact that he was Voldemort. If any of us were in her position, we would be just as confused.

Listen: Palladio by Karl Jenkins

40| vertigo

February

One cool morning, Ava was sitting in a little alcove looking out the window. She liked to find these hidden spots in the school to have some peace and quiet. Lately she's been needing the time away from others. Even though they've only been back for a few weeks now, Ava found herself seeking out solitude even more. Perhaps that had to do with her wanting to put some distance between her and Tom. Well she didn't necessarily want more distance, she was just avoiding the reality of the real issue between them.

A few days prior, Ava had finally accepted the fact that she had feelings for Tom. They had been working on an assignment together for charms and for once she needed to help him. Granted it was due to a change in technique since the forties. But it was a nice change in pace to have to teach him something rather than the other way around. She found it absolutely adorable when he became embarrassed by the situation. So she decided to go easy on him and didn't call attention to it. The smile on her face wouldn't go away after that however. Until she realized what the butterflies in her stomach meant that is.

Ava knew Tom must have noticed the change in her demeanor upon her realization. To her surprise he didn't comment on it. Now she wished he would have, if only to save her from torturing herself like this. She couldn't take the constant doubt and uncertainty anymore. So she would need to work up the courage and finally ask Tom about where they stood.

"This is certainly an odd spot to find you."

Ava jumped as Tom's voice came out of nowhere. She grabbed the book she had in her lap just before it fell and looked up at him. "Not many students come up this way." She placed the book securely on the ledge of the window. "But I guess you found it," she said while giving him an awkward smile. Of all the moments to face Tom, this was not the time for it.

Tom quirked a brow at the off-putting way Ava was acting. "Do you come here often to study?"

"Just when I'm feeling overwhelmed," Ava stated casually.

Tom nodded more intrigued now. "You've been feeling overwhelmed with classes?"

Ava shook her head slightly, "not with classes really." She gave a shrug then. "Just life in general I suppose."

"I see," Tom said slowly. He glanced to the book she was previously holding then back to her again. "What class are you working on?"

"Defense."

Tom put his hands in his pockets, deciding to let the short response slide. "Would you like any help?"

"No I'm fine," Ava said curtly.

Tom paused at Ava's swift rejection. "Alright, I'll leave you to it."

Ava sighed realizing how awful she came off. "Actually I'm going to go back to the common room for a bit." She gave him a softer smile and tried to salvage the situation. "If you're going that way to," she added as a hint to walk with him.

"I am."

Ava nodded and grabbed her things before joining him. She let silence hang between them for a while until she worked up the nerve to broach the subject she'd been fretting over. "Tom?"