The Trial P. 2

Oh lord this was difficult. Hope it turned out all right 😅

Also, updates will become slower now that classes started for me again. BUT, I wrote out the outlines for both stories so I know what to do with each chapter, yay!

✌🏻

Listen: Darkest of Intentions from Avengers: Age of Ultron soundtrack (second half)

* marks the second song: Philip Glass-candyman suite

19| the jury

The room was buzzing as Tom stepped into it. As he was lead to the chair in the center, he studied the newly reformed Wizengamot. They were all watching him closely, giving him the feeling that they weren't going to be forgiving. The stands lining the walls behind the chair were filled with witnesses and others who were allowed entrance. He caught sight of Ava and her parents sitting in the second row to the back left of where he will be sitting. The auror escorting him pushed him into the chair and moved to stand behind it, where he would be watching. The loud pounding of the gavel broke through the noise of the room and caused silence to take over. Tom looked up to see an older woman standing at the podium.

"Attention members of the Wizengamot and other consented personal. Today we are brought here for the trial and questioning of Tom Marvolo Riddle." She paused as whispers broke out from the crowd. Once they were silent again, she continued, "many of you may know of who this is before us. For those of you that do not, here before us is Lord Voldemort reborn into his younger self." The crowd began to speak again until the judge pounded the gavel. "The defendant has claimed to have no recollection of the events that have taken place in the last decades and we are here today to see if that is true."

She then addressed Tom directly, "should we decide you are untrustworthy to be set free, your immediate removal will take place and you will be escorted to Azkaban. If we find you were speaking the truth and pose no threat, you will be released back into the care of Carmine and Gwenyth Merin. Is that understood?"

Tom nodded, "yes." He swallowed thickly as Baron-Coax entered and stood off to the side. He knew she would vouch for his good behavior over the last few moths. Not knowing what else she will help him with, however, made him anxious. He had never felt so alienated before.

The judge nodded before shifting to address the whole room. "Now, we will proceed with an explanation of how you came to be on Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry grounds on May second." She glanced at the paper on the podium in front of her. "It is stated here that after the events of that day, the body of your previous self was left in its spot until removal. However, a student of Hogwarts, Ava Merin, later found you there instead. This is a statement made by the new Headmistress, Minerva McGonagall. Is this statement true Mister Riddle?"

Tom met her eyes, "yes."

"This was also witnessed by Harry Potter, correct?"

Tom couldn't help but cringe when he heard the name. He responded with a nod, hoping his reaction wasn't noticeable.

The judge looked away from him after his nod to glance down at her notes. "You were then taken to the Headmistress and brought to her office, where she explained events of the last fifty years." She looked back up at the crowd, "recollection of such events were further denied after this conversation. It was decided, by decree of the new Minister, that Mister Riddle would be placed somewhere out of public eye until this day. Who decided to have you placed with the Merins?"

Tom tensed, not expecting to be asked that. "I believe it was first suggested by Professor Dumbledore's portrait."

"By a portrait?" The judge pursed her lips, "this idea was accepted by both the Headmistress and the Minister as well. Now tell me, why was this suggested?"