The Trial P. 1

It's here! I'll admit a lot of my inspiration went into Tom's nightmare so...oops. Also, I just posted a new one shot featuring these two so go check it out!

*Time skip to the day before the trial

✌🏻

Listen: dead myrtle from the Great Gatsby soundtrack

18| the nightmare

July 19th

It was dark.

That's all Tom was aware of when he came to his senses. He knew he was dreaming because he no longer felt the mattress beneath him. Instead, he felt the cold hard ground. He pushed himself up and sat there trying to make out anything around him. It was dark.

Dark and cold and quiet. He stood up slowly and felt something brush against his leg. Looking down, he realized he was in his school robes. Seconds later his surroundings became light enough to see he was in a hallway. The walls were stone and decorated with carvings in the pillars and archways. He was in Hogwarts. Where exactly in the school, he wasn't sure. He looked all around himself to see if he could pick out any specific feature. Nothing stood out however. It was just one of the many halls in the castle with little significance. Tom sighed in frustration. He turned back to the direction he was originally facing and started walking that way. His footsteps echoed off the walls of the empty corridor. There were no other sounds around him and darkness consumed any space.

It began to feel to him that the corridor had no end as he was traveling down it. He didn't remember seeing others winging off of it either. Shaking away the chill that was beginning to climb up his spine, he continued forward. Suddenly another smaller hall appeared up to his right. He stopped in front of it and saw a single torch lit at the end. He contemplated going past it until he heard a sound. Listening he closer and not hearing it again, he decided to keep going. After taking one step, he heard it again. It was a strange sound, low in tone and hard to understand.

Tom hesitated before entering the dark hall and once he did he was enveloped in the dark. The only sense of direction he had was the one torch. He kept his eyes on it as he made his way toward it. Upon reaching it and the end of the hallway, the the torch went out. Another lit to his left shortly after. He followed each torch that lighted and realized he was being lead somewhere. The trail of torches stopped at a door which he didn't recognize.

Tom placed his hand on the door and pushed it open. To his surprise, he was in a girls' bathroom. He didn't hear the noise again or see the source of it. The only thing about the room that didn't seem unnatural was the constant dripping of one of the faucets. He studied each faucet carefully until he identified which one was dripping. As he moved away from the door it slammed closed behind him. The sound echoed in the room followed by a low hissing sound. Nearing the sinks, he stopped after noticing one was broken. He knew where he was now.

More hissing echoed off the walls and he couldn't tell where it originated from. A shrill laugh suddenly came from behind him. Tom turned around but saw nothing. The chilling laugh was still echoing off the walls.

"Now, don't tell me you are that ignorant. To not notice everything around you. Very disappointing."

The voice clearly came from where the stalls were. Tom stared at the dark corner of the stalls knowing whoever spoke was there. "What do you mean?"