Chapter 17 - A Painful Realization

Chapter 17

A Painful Realization

Patience was not one of my virtues, especially when it came to my loved ones out in possible danger. Julie and I both paced near the glass back doors as we waited for anything.

Everything was so silent that a ringing cell phone sounded like it was actually screaming. It was my cell so everyone turned to look at me.

"Yes." I spoke quickly.

"Ness, we are going to meet up with Jacob. There isn't anything south of the house. Has Carlisle called?" It was my Dad. I could hear the wind rushing by as he talked and ran.

"No not yet."

"Ok. Call if anything comes up."

"I will." I said nervously and ended the call.

Since everyone with excellent hearing heard the conversation, I didn't have to repeat anything but others filled the humans in. Instead, I continued to pace. A few minutes later my cell screams again. It was my Dad again.

"Ness, Carlisle just called me so he knows we are on the way to meet up with Jacob."

"Ok, what else did he say?"

My Dad didn't answer right away but when he did, I wasn't suspecting that information. "The two kids that arrived last in the ambulances began to speak. They said they saw a werewolf."

I gasped softly and heard others in the room do the same. "So it is a werewolf?"

"We still aren't sure, but it's looking like it."

"And who was it that was killed?"

He paused again. "Ness, maybe I should tell you when I get home."

"No, I want to know Dad," I argued.

"It was your class mate, Madison."

I handed the phone to Esme who was by my side in that moment. I didn't know or like Madison too well, but she didn't deserve to die. The realization of how fragile humans were turned out to be painfully aware.

I made my way out back and sat on the grass. I hugged my knees to my chest as I thought about how she must have died. How painful it must have been. Then, I felt a soft hand touch my shoulder - Esme. She looked so concerned for me.

"Are you alright dear?" She sat down next to me.

"Yes," I squeaked in a whisper. "I just can't believe she is gone. I mean, I'm used to seeing you all every day and know that I will get to see you forever but the thought of-" And that's when it hit me. Tears began to stream and my body shook as I remembered that Jacob wasn't as immortal as my family were. He could be killed and eventually will die. It may take hundreds of years if he keeps shifting but eventually something will happen even though I hoped it never did, I felt as if it would.

Esme hugged me tightly and rocked me side to side, trying to console me. My fear flowed through me and into Esme and I heard hear her painfully whimper as she felt the heaviness of my sadness. I heard others inside ask if I was crying because of the girl but then I heard Julie say that she didn't think so. So, when I finally calmed down, I spoke out loud so others could hear me.

"It hurts to think that one day I could lose Jacob." I allowed myself to cry again and Esme continued to hold me as she stroked my hair and rocked me side to side.

Some say that dying is hard but living is harder. I think knowing both are equally painful but living forever can be torture especially if you live forever without the one you love.