Chapter 23 Not the End. Just the Beginning.

Chapter 23

Not the End. Just the Beginning.

For the first time in my short, but fast paced life, things were going along quit slowly. School became routine even up to the last days before winter break began. Homework, of course, was more than simple and fellow classmates became more open to my family; even though Alice and Jasper often opted to not hang out with us as much while our classmates hung around us. So, giving us a chance at normalcy, they hung out by their self, even after much debate and arguing from me on the matter. But in the end I saw their reason. They didn't want to become overly friendly with our fellow students and accidentally have one questioning things like why were they always cold and etc.

When the winter break began, Alice, Jasper and Esme left for Forks to begin preparing for Julie and Seth's wedding. The rest of us waited a day before heading to Forks. We wanted to make sure everything was locked up and cleaned before taking off. We had all decided to spend the break in Forks instead of making everyone travel to us. Grandpa Charlie and Sue were excited and waited rather impatiently!

Hugs and more hugs were plenty once we arrived back in Forks. The feel of the old home, my birthplace, was something I wasn't expecting; a sort of sadness that we no longer lived there washed over me. I knew it wasn't like we would never return but just the fact that we weren't living there now was what bugged me. Not to mention all the changes Julie's dad made to the house made it feel off. It wasn't how we had it and therefor wasn't home - wasn't our home.

Hours were spent on retelling the stories of the Varcolac's and everything that happened leading up to their visit. Even stories on how my experience at school was going took a little while. I was still saddened by Madison and Chris's absence too so during the retelling I was saddened further. I often fidgeted in my spot on the coach next to Jacob. Even Julie noticed and offered me a sympathetic look.

As the rest of my family continued chatting about New Hampshire, Jacob and I roamed into the back yard and to the bridge my family built when I was little girl. I had always loved sitting on that bridge and becoming lost in my thoughts. It was something I was in need of doing. The wood planks were still in very good shape and I was happy that Julie's father at least kept it coated to protect it from the elements. I took a deep breath in and a multitude of scents flooded my senses. The local pack's scent was near but only Seth's was the strongest.

"You have been so quiet lately," Jacob said as he rested his chin on my shoulder from hugging me from behind. He lightly squeezed me.

I sighed, "I know and I am sorry." I turned my head to the side and kissed his hand while it was on my shoulder. I inhaled Jacob's scent and smiled to myself. Smelling his scent back here in Forks was also home and a comfort to me.

"Don't be. I know... seeing everything you have had to see lately has been rough." Jacob squeezed me tighter in his warm embrace.

I turned in Jacob's arms, my hand on his chest, and looked into those beautiful rich brown eyes of his. I felt the warmth spread over my body by just a glance from him and I smiled.

"There's that beautiful smile," Jacob's smile brightened my mood and lightened my heart.

"Thank you Jacob," I took his lips with mine and let the surroundings fade away. His delicious taste was one I would never tire of.

"Renesmee," the one voice that could pull me away from my love and bring me back to the world - my Grandpa Charlie. He and Sue walked hand and hand towards us on the bridge with a bright smile each. "Look at you," Charlie beamed proudly, "My beautiful granddaughter!"

I hugged Charlie and for once I was happy that I couldn't hurt him when I hugged him too tightly.

"See Charlie," Sue tugged at Charlie's arm, "She still glows beautifully."

Charlie took a quick glance at Sue over his shoulder, as if he wished she hadn't said that.

"Charlie was worried about how everything happening in New Hampshire would weigh on you," Sue confessed unabashed.

Charlie scowled only for a split second before kissing Sue. "You know me..." Jacob chuckled at Charlie. "I am so glad you are finally here," Grandpa hugged me again, a little tighter this time and I heard him take a deep breath of my scent.

Sue took her turn in hugging me and Jacob. Then Grandpa shook Jacob's hand while patting him quit hard on the back. I laughed to myself and smiled at Sue. I couldn't remember ever seeing her so happy before. I was happy that vampire life was suiting her just fine!

So as complicated as my life could get at times, it was times like these: with my loving, extended family and friends that made me know that our future, for however long that may be, will be just fine as long as we had each other.

The End.