Chapter 19 - Another Dilemma

Chapter 19

Another Dilemma

During our hunt I caught on to Jacob’s thoughts. He was hoping I was pregnant. My heart fell a little hearing that because I knew personally, I was not ready. I was literally only thirteen years old. Mentally and physically I was old enough but to me and a few other family members, I was not. I didn’t know how to talk to Jake about it so I acted like I didn’t hear that thought slip through his composure.  

After draining two deer we ran back to the main house. I actually wanted to go home but Jake thought maybe we should check in first.

Everyone was back and since there were so many of us we were all in the back yard. Poor Chris looked lost, scared and confused – or in shock.

The Varcolac’s explained to Chris how things were going to be each month until he got control of his Beast. Each month he would turn three nights – night before, night of and night after the full moon. They offered Katrina and Chris a place with them but even after Katrina’s enthusiasm on her future possibilities, she decided to return to her old way of life with the promise to return if she needed anything or just wanted to visit. As for Chris, he said he would have to think about it.

Everyone began to discuss how to work Chris’s move into his formal human life with his parents. One was a scholarship opportunity and another was that he just wanted to back pack across Europe. Of course the latter idea wasn’t very thoughtful and wouldn’t exactly be the right way to tell Chris’s parents he was leaving for Italy. Jasper suggested he could get his connections to forge a scholarship and other papers that Chris would need to convince his parents of the opportunity in Italy – everyone liked that idea.

When the Varcolac’s mentioned that Chris needed to be locked up each month during his transformation, Chris became hysterical. Screaming, flailing his arms crazily and eventually falling to his knees crying uncontrollably. It wasn’t so much that the idea of being confined scared him but the idea of that happening three times a month for the rest of his life.

“Wait, his Beast was calm last night after Nessie yelled at it.” Emmet bellowed over Chris’s hysterics. “Why does he have to be locked up if the Beast listens and behaves?”

The Varcolac’s froze; physically and mentally. They didn’t think they heard that correctly and when Carter zoned in on my thoughts he saw the replay I was doing in my memory of the night before.

“Is it true?” Regina asked Carter.

Carter nodded his head solemnly and moved closer to me. “You were able to speak to his beast?” He asked; still unsure if what he was seeing in my memory was correct.

“Yes. He wouldn’t behave so I yelled at him and then he listened to me. Why? What’s the problem?” I was afraid I did something wrong.

“No, not wrong.” He commented on my thought. “It’s miraculous. Never has any werewolf’s Beast been tame let alone acknowledge it understood outside of the natural animal instincts.” Carter was astounded and intrigued. Many ideas ran through his mind as he was excited.

“And what does that mean actually?” Jacob, tense beside me with his arms wrapped possessively around my waist, worried what the werewolf leader could be getting at.

“That all of our werewolf’s beasts could be tamed; in turn this could possibly insure no more attacks on humans and definitely no more turned. As it is, each month we go on lock down just in case some of us can’t control our beasts. We are not always successful in keeping control of our conscious over the beast so we take the extra precautions. But still, that’s not even one hundred percent containable.” He imagined all the possibilities.