Chapter 18 - Aftermath

Chapter 18

Aftermath

We were back at the main house before dawn since there was a lot to do before it was even lunch time. First thing was that we had to say goodbye to Sam, Emily, Seth, Julie and the rest of the pack so they could head to the airport and catch their flight home. I hated the goodbye part but knew I would see them all again soon enough. Eleazar and the rest of the Denali's wanted to stay and find out more about the werewolf's.

So after saying goodbye; we waited in the living room. Carlisle, Dad and Emmet were moving Katrina and Chris to the couches after disconnecting their iv's. Katrina was the first to stir and we waited as she slowly woke up.

Her thoughts were still muddled from the drugs but she had enough composure to mentally curse us as she sat up. Why she decided to glare at me with animosity eluded me but she seemed to have it out for me.

No one said anything right away; instead we waited for her to speak. She adjusted the clothes that Alice put on her after she transformed back. She was thinking how she actually liked the outfit and how it had been a very long time since she had worn clothes.

"Um, thanks." She said to no one in particular as she gestured to the clothes.

"You're welcome!" Alice's peppy voice sung as she beamed ear to ear.

Katrina then looked to each of us as she tried to figure out what we were. "I don't smell not one human among you; although you," she pointed to me, "sort of smell like one but not entirely. So, what are you all?"

Carlisle moved forward. "We are vampires. Jacob and his pack," Carlisle pointed to them, "are shifters. They shift into wolfs."

"Wolf's? Not werewolves?" Katrina couldn't grasp the idea of none werewolf wolves. Then she remembered her chase before she was captured. "You mean that they are the huge wolves that helped you catch me?"

"Yes." Jacob gave her smug smirk.

Katrina took a moment to wrap her head around the news. Chris was beginning to stir but he remained asleep.

"So what do you want from me?" She sneered.

"We would just like to talk to you and get some answers." My Dad answered.

"Answers about what?" She said foully.

"About why you attacked Chris." I spat out before anyone else could say a thing.

"It's not like I meant to. He was the one that fumbled through the woods and frightened me." She replayed the scene in her mind.

"Frightened you?" Emmet's voice sounded hilarious in that moment.

"I was feeding and he stumbled over a log and on to my game." Her memory of that night was quit vivid and I watched as the surprise of Chris falling over the bloodied deer carcass actually did scare her.

"Huh, who would have thought?" Emmet joked.

We each shot him a 'shut up' look and he shrugged his shoulders.

"And you couldn't stop yourself from attacking him?" Rosalie was the next to ask a question. Her feeling on animals attacking humans ran to close to home for her as she remembered the day of Emmet's attack.

"No, I couldn't." Katrina bit out. "My wolf didn't like being interrupted and in that moment I was too shocked to stop her."

"You speak as if there are two sides when you transform." Carlisle thought out loud.

"Yes, the werewolf has her own conscious, separate from my own but I can overrule her - most of the time."

"And what about Chris?" I asked.