9 - All She Needs Is...

Percy's POV

Wow. Annabeth just kissed me. Kissed me. Or did I kiss her? I honestly couldn't remember. But the weird thing is that it felt anything but wrong. It felt right.
Why?
I have no idea in that case, either.
We were just friends who tended to... kiss sometimes.
Yup. Sounds totally rational to me, too.
Maybe... ugh. Annabeth must've been the most complicated person I'd ever met. Why did she pull away like that?
Did she come to her senses?
I sure didn't. If she hadn't pulled away, I'm pretty sure I would have stuck to her like an octopus.
A blue octopus.
I wondered if she'd had a boyfriend whilst I was in London.
A pang of jealousy suddenly hit me.
What the heck?
But I didn't like her. Definitely not.
It would make sense if I didn't.
Because I was pretty sure that I just fell for my best friend.

Wait what?

Annabeths POV

I stood up from bed, yawning lazily. Percy slept with his head on the other side of the bed, probably due to my epic awkwardness.

I wasn't sure where I'd put my school bag the other day.
But there was one thing I was sure of. I couldn't like Percy. No way in Tartarus.

It's not that I didn't want to or something, but people would make fun of him in school. Maybe even start treating him like rubbish. He might be the only one in the school who could stand up for me, give or take, but what sort friend would I be to drag him into my mess?

And what would he do about Luke?
Ethan and Luke had been best buds a year ago. What if Percy decided to change sides and hang with them rather than me?
The fact that it was even a possibility scared me enough to want to skip school, fall into the soft pillows and just sleep until I died.

Yes, that would be nice.

I was so lost in my train of thought that I didn't realize that Percy was awake until he accidentally brushed past my arm. A smile tried to force its way onto my lips, but I pushed it down, much like you would restrain a dog with a leash. And just as hard.

   "Good morning."
He said casually enough.

I just nodded. I was afraid that if I opened my mouth a smile would form without my consent.
I stretched my arms upwards, reaching for the ceiling, as I stood up, stepping on the mattress that I'd now left empty for two nights in a row.

I quickly threw a pair of dark blue jeans on, along with a light grey shirt, complementing my eyes.

I took a quick shower and after what felt like a million years, I stood at the door waiting for Percy.
After waiting for what felt like eternity, I hollered, "Percy! We're going to be late. We already missed Monday. Come on!"

Percy ran up to the door next to me just as I finished the sentence.

   "I'm right here, Wise Girl."
He said with a goofy smile. I raised an eyebrow. He was such a child. How in Zeus's name could I possibly like him?

***

Annabeth's POV

It took us roughly twenty minutes to get to school, with Percy constantly kicking the curb and tripping over his shoe laces that I kept pestering him to tie.
When I reached my locker, I stopped abruptly.
   "Don't you have to... I don't know, sign up and find out with class your in?"
I asked him as I heard voices approach from the left side of the corridor.

   "Uh, I think so. Come on."
He too my hand gently to pull me along, but I snatched it back.
   "I think you're perfectly capable of walking yourself. Or do you want me to judo flip you there? I'd be glad to-"