5 | flashbacks*

Chapter 5. Flashbacks
Flashback: noun; a scene in a movie, novel, etc., set in a time earlier than the main story.
▬▬▬▬۩▬▬▬▬
5. Flashbacks

8 months ago....

         The truck rumbled to life, and set off towards its destination. I sat next to my brother Cole in the 2nd row of the vehicle. Our Captain was driving and the other soldier sat in the passenger seat. There where 5 other trucks like ours trailing behind us through the winding roads. The dust started to kick up and obscure our view of the road. We stopped the trucks and jumped out to do a mandatory check on the nearby Afghanistan town. At times like these, there where loads of spy's working against us with the Taliban. Even some kids where forced to be interrogated upon the matter of spying.

      The worst part of my job is collecting the kid spy's. After we find out who is working for who we round them up for questioning, and it's hard to look at there young faces filled with bad ideals about who we are as people.

      My brother and I stick together as we go around from house to house, mostly to Taliban doctors houses. We had just finished our last questioning and where walking up to the truck when the shooting began.

      Bullets whizzed past my head as I looked for cover. The source of the loud noises came from the barrel of the gun that the doctor was holding.

       The one we just interrogated.

       Cole on the other hand stood their transfixed on the spot not knowing what to do. I ran towards him in a crouching position and tackled him to the ground. The other soldiers covered us as I dragged him to shelter. His face was pale, as if all the color had drained out of him. He looked as if he saw a ghost. That's when noticed the blood pooling in his uniform. I pulled open his jacket to see a bullet wound in his stomach and his upper thigh. I hastily pulled out a piece of cloth and wrapped it around his wounds.

       "Cole! Can you hear me?" I yelled

       He just turned his face towards me and stared at me with an intensity that felt as if he could see right through me. "Sam, I'm sorry."

       His eyes rolled back into his head and his body slowly started to turn cold. I cried over his dead body. I cried so hard, all my feelings came out and poured out of me. My tears never stopped coming, it hurt so much.

      Why did he have to leave me!

      All the noise in the background I blocked out.

That's when I fell into blackness.

❁❁❁

I woke up covered in sweat. My hands where clammy and my face was covered in dried tears.

      Tears for my brother.

       My dad.

       My leg.

       All the memories I had repressed for the last couple of months are finally coming back to me. It hurt to think about the past year. It hurt to think that I could have done something. It hurt.

      I screamed. I let it all out in one blood curdling scream.

      My mom rushed into my room looking as if she had died, and than come back.

      She sat on my bed and hugged me. She rubbed soft circles on my back and told me it was going to be okay. "Honey, why did you scream?"

      This was the first time that I had, had a nightmare. And it was awful. But my mom was already breaking down about loosing her son, and husband and almost loosing me. She doesn't need to know the cause of her sons death not now, not ever.

      "I just remembered I have a test tomorrow that I didn't study for." I lied.

      "Honey, what really was it?" She accused, seeing right through my lie.

      "I had a nightmare about me being in a car crash." I lied, but this time she bought it. She didn't know I had Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, so I didn't bore her wth the details.

      "Ok honey, I hope you feel better." She consoled as she walked out the door, leaving me to go back to sleep.

       I checked the clock on my nightstand. It read 4:00am, I had 2 and a half hours till I have to get ready for school. Knowing I won't be able to go back to sleep, I walk to my closet for workout cloths.

      Time for a morning run.

❁❁❁

      "What happened to you?" Dustin asked as I walked over to him.

      "I woke up at 4:00am. Thats what happened." I said rather bluntly

      "The 'waking-up-at-4:00am look does not look good on you."

      "Well no shit Sherlock!" I snapped

      He held up his hands in surrender as the bell rang, I grunted because once again I will be late to class. I couldn't run so I sped walked all the way to the first floor.

      I walked in and found the class had already started the lesson. The teacher turned towards me with a mad look "Sam, why are you late to my class?" He asked angrily

      "I lost track of time."

      I made my way back to my desk in the back of the class. The moment I walked past Blakes desk, he smirked and tripped me.

I fell face first onto the floor.

      My prosthetic leg wiggled loose and moved in a weird direction."I swear I did not trip her that hard!" Blake yelled, staring at my leg with a shocked expression.

      I instantly stood up and put my leg back into place without moving my pants. Luckily no one has noticed, besides Blake. "It's ok, I overreacted."

      Blake just looked at me confused with the rest of the class. I just nervously laughed and sat in my seat. I mean it's not everyday, someone trips and there leg bends, right? Right when I sat down Blake turned around to look at me "is your leg made out of metal, because that hurt!" He asked jokingly.

      I just rolled my eyes at his stupid behavior and looked back to the front of my class. Obviously he didn't even know the half of it.

      I chuckled to myself, what a bimbo.

❁❁❁

      The bell rang signaling the end of first hour. Next I had a free period with Clara and Dustin in the library. I knew that they would be held up in the janitors closet doing god knows what, so I saved them 2 chairs next to me as I sat down.

      They came in looking mad as hell. They stormed up to me and sat down. They both looked as if they where going to explode.

      "Would you mind explaining what happened in English?" Clara asked

      "I tripped?" I asked confused at their behavior.

      "Your leg bent the wrong way Sam! That's not natural!" Dustin added

      I sat there transfixed. They noticed? If they did than how many other people noticed? "Sorry."

      "Does this have something to do with the fact that you won't tell us about your last two years on this planet earth?"

      "Maybe....." I trailed off

      "You need to trust us, you can tell us anything." Clara said

      "It's a long story."

Dustin pointed at the clock "we have time."

▬▬▬▬۩▬▬▬▬
Note:
If you have any suggestions, I take everything into consideration!
Comment•Vote•Share