34 | surprise

Chapter 34: surprise
Surprise: noun; an unexpected or astonishing event, fact, or thing.
▬▬▬▬۩▬▬▬▬
34. Surprise

It's been 3 months since the night at the bar, and the last time I saw Blake. Thank the lord.

My troop had graduation today and we leave for the front lines in 4 days. I'm heading home for 2 days before coming back and serving my country again. The troops had just lined the stage and they did a little speech before all the screaming started as people whooped at the crowd. Some saying hell was finally over.

I laughed at that one. I did put them through hell, maybe even worse if that was even possible.

The graduation ended and I walked back to my car, that already had my bag in it, and headed straight for the airport.

Uniform and all.

I entered the airport and instantly received some thank you for your service comments and a couple of pats on the back. After the long haul and trench through the lines from hell, I made my way to the gate and finally plopped down in the chair and finally let out a breath.
▬▬▬▬۩▬▬▬▬

I thanked my cab driver through the window after i gave him the cab fare. I had arrived in California a half an hour ago and now I was standing outside my home, ready to surprise my family that I was home.

For two days, but hey, it was something.

I walked up and strode through the door. I could see the kitchen lights on and I headed towards the room where I assumed they where. I peaked my head in to see they where eating Papa Murphy's around the island counter top. I smiled at my mom and brother, glad they had their backs turned to me.

I took my back pack off and snuck up behind them, but right before I could pounce them the doorbell went off and I ducked into the nearest door way. I landed on my ass as they answered the door.

"Oh hi Blake." My mom said.

Shit.

"Sorry for intruding, but I just have a question for you guys if you don't mind me asking." Blake's voice rang out through the house.

I could tell Cole had walked up to the doorway also to see who it was by the sound of his feet passing the room I was hiding in.

"Sure honey, what do you want to know?" My mom asked.

"Where is Sam being shipped off to?" Blake asked tentatively.

"If she doesn't want you to know than don't think we'll tell you either!" Cole interjected angrily. I instantly love him more by that small gesture, he knew I didn't want him to know without me even telling him.

"Sorry, honey but he's right, Sam would have to tell you herself." My mom said after Cole had left the front doorway.

The door shut and I slid so my back was up against the island counter top on the side so they couldn't see me. They resumed eating in silence after they sat back down and I made my move.

I jumped up and faced them. "SUPRISE!"

My mom accidentally threw her plate of food at me before recovering and screaming. "You scared the shiz out of me Sam! Jesus, my heart."