18 | decisions

Chapter 18: Decisions
Decisions: noun; a conclusion or resolution reached after consideration.
(The two uniforms are up above^^)
▬▬▬▬۩▬▬▬▬
18. Decisions

"I don't know what to tell you Sam." Clara answered

We've been going back and forth on what to do about  Veterans Day. We made a list of positives and negatives, the sad part was they equaled each other out.

Positive; don't have to hide anymore

Negative; people will look at you weird

"I say you should wear your uniform, it covers your leg right?" Dustin said. He came strolling in form the kitchen with a bucket of his so called 'thinking ice cream'. He can't go an hour of studying or brainstorming without it.

"I could do that, but they'll find out one day."

Clara nodded in agreement with me. I took a spoonful of ice-cream and thought of what to do. As simple as this decision is, we've been thinking for an hour. This was weighing me down. The slamming of the front door broke me out of my thoughts and Cole walked through the doorway.

"Hey, what are you guys doing."

"Tomorrow's Veterans Day, that should answer your question." I answered bluntly.

"Oh, your wondering wether or not you should wear your uniform?" I nodded as he plopped down on the couch next to me. He shrugged "I think you should."

With that statement both Dustin's and Clara's head popped up from the list they where looking at. "Why would you say that?" They said at the same time.

"Well, she's been stressing about hiding, what about just stopping that and coming out. This would be the best way to do it."

I snorted "You make it sound like I'm coming out as a lesbian." (Note: this is meaning no offense to the lgbqt community)

He laughed as well "you know what I meant."

Dustin nodded and Clara joined in "I agree."

"I agree too, I guess that makes the decision a whole lot easier." I ripped the list in half and smiled at them, I guess I'm really doing this. We moved into the kitchen and ate the rest of Dustin's 'thinking ice-cream'. It was a comfortable silence as we sat there in our little friend circle. Looking around I'm glad I told them my secret back in October.

Clara smirked at me " Can we get a little run way action? A little fashion show?"

I laughed, why not? No harm done. I hobbled up the stairs on my crutches and went straight into my bed room. Hobbling to the closest I opened and pulled out the last thing I though I would wear. The casing around it was full of dust. "Which one do you want to see? Fancy or Casual?"

Clara smiled "Both?"

"Ok, but wait in my moms bedroom while I put it on. I'll walk in like it's a runway." I laughed

She left the room and I pulled out the during-duty field uniform. The green came gave me a sad feeling in the lot of my stomach. I pushed the sadness away and I pulled off my clothing and pulled on a sports bra. I sat on the bed for support and pulled on the all to familiar green camouflage pants. I put on a camo green shirt and the jacket over that. I laced up my boot. I wiggled my toes and I could still feel sand in them.

I pulled myself onto the crutches and went over to my vanity and pulled my hair into a tight bun. Lastly I pulled on my camo hat and looked in the mirror. For once I smiled a real smile as I looked at my reflection. It's good to be back.

I made my way down the hallway and went into my moms bedroom. All three of them where sitting on my moms bed and I laughed at the variety of reactions.

Clara teared up, Dustin smiled at me, and Cole looked shocked.

"Well?"

"You look so good!" Clara laughed through her tears.

"You look bad ass." Dustin stated

"I've missed you." Cole said as he rushed over to me and hugged the living day lights out of me.

As I hugged back I asked "what do you mean by that?"

"For once you look comfortable in your skin, your not hiding anymore."

I felt tears fill my eyes, he was utterly and completely right. He should be a therapist, he could make good money.

After Clara took a picture I went back to my room to change into my 'Fancy' one. After throwing off my 'Casual' one I threw the black pencil skirt over my nylons. I put on a register bra and put my camo shirt back on. After putting on my black dress coat I started to pin on all my medals, my Purple Heart being the last one I put on. Keeping my hair in a bun I pulled my black cap over my hair and smiled. The final touch where my white gloves and I was done.

I made it to the room and hobbled through the door to their awaiting gazes. They stopped talking and they had the same reaction as before. Cole stuttered while he looked at my medals.

"They made you a Colonel!" Cole yelled

"Yes soldier, you'll answer to me now." I laughed.

We've always been the same rank, but I guess his little sister out ranked him now. He was only a first Lieutenant and I was a Colonel. I laughed at his annoyed face. He looked at my medals and admired them, "we should compare medals."

"That's laughable, I have way more than you."

"Do you really want to go there!" He countered

"Guys, please stop. Let's pick the outfit for tomorrow." Dustin said, halting our conversation.

We shared one glare at each other before returning our attention to Clara's Phone to compare uniforms. She scrolled to the 'Casual' one. "How many vote for this one?" She asked

Everyone raised there hand, including me. Even though I'm glad I got to wear my camouflage one, I still felt offended. "What's wrong about this one?"

"To flashy"

"Shows you have more medals than me"

"Greens more your color that Black"

I laughed at their different answers and shrugged.

After changing back into my bell-bottom jeans and red v-neck t-shirt, and keeping my dog tags on I met the others back downstairs in the living room.

"I've got the outfit locked and loaded for tomorrow." I smiled

They smiled back and Cole patted the spot next to him on the couch as Clara popped Hercules into the DVD player.

I fist pumped at getting to watch my favorite movie. Even though I lived this movie, my mind was someone else. What will happen tomorrow? I hope they accept me.

I wonder how Blake will take this new information?
▬▬▬▬۩▬▬▬▬
Note:
🤔Question: which uniform would you pick?-->
Comment•Vote•Share