17 | verterans

Chapter 17: Veterans
Veterans Day; noun: a public holiday held on the anniversary of the end of World War I (November 11) to honor US veterans and victims of all wars. It replaced Armistice Day in 1954.
▬▬▬▬۩▬▬▬▬
17. Veterans

Blake came rushing into the room with a worried look on his face. I sat up straight in my chair at the facial expression that he wore. It had no hint of humor or snarkyness like usual, it was all serious.

"You look like you've seen a ghost." I said trying to lighten up the mood.

His face turned from serious to no emotions at all "don't ever joke like that, who's following you? Why didn't you answer my texts?"

I motioned towards the chair and he took the hint and sat down. "You know the guy you saved me from when you first came back?"

"Yea...?"

"He was the one driving the truck that hit me." I stated

"What!" He yelled standing up angrily. "I should have killed him then." He stopped pacing the room and turned to me. "He's the one that made you go into a comma!?"

I nodded but than realized something and smirked "you've been keeping tabs on me. You care!" I laughed

He looked shocked and than stuttered "N-No"

The all mighty Blake just stuttered!

He just ran a hand threw his hair and turned on his heel and walked out only muttering some angry curse words. I let him go without hesitation, knowing he'll need time to process the new information.
▬▬▬▬۩▬▬▬▬

It's been 2 weeks since Blake stormed out after I told him my revelation. He's texted me hi every once in a while, but I haven't seen him lately. I'm now back at school and all the drama seems to have passed, I have been asked a few questions about Blake and I, but I've ignored them. It was second day of school since I've gotten back and I was in 2nd hour.

"Class, pull out your textbooks and open to page 237-345 and take notes." The old lady grunted

I internally groaned but kept my head down and started to take notes on Shakespeare. The noise of the speaker systems crackled to life and everyone looked at the speakers.

"Hello Students, this is Principal Turner speaking and I have a few announcements to make." I rolled my eyes but kept my attention on the speakers. "We will be having an assembly tomorrow for Veterans Day...." he continued talking but I blanked out.

I was required to wear my uniform. Why didn't we have that day off? It's Veterans Day for crying out loud!

I tuned back into the gravely voice of Mr. Turner just in time to hear the worst words ever. "We are asking anyone that knows someone in the military to come to the office now."

I stiffened in my seat. The teacher gave me a sorry glance and waved me off. Of course she would force me to go. I grabbed my stuff and walked out of the classroom feeling all my peers gaze on me, burning into my back.

I made my way down the hallway and saw a few people exit their classrooms and join me on the hunt for Mr. Turners office. We where one hallway away when the almighty Blake Reed made an appearance.

He gave me a weird look when he saw that I was on crutches. "Why the hell did the doctors give you metal bars?" He muttered

"Why wouldn't they?"

"They could have given you foam ones, I can already see the future newspaper articles..." he gazed off into space and said "Sam Clarke beats handsome bad boy with crutches in high school hallway."

I laughed and jabbed him the leg with my crutch. He glared at me as he rubbed his shin. "Do you see my point?" He said pointing to his leg. I just laughed and kept hobbling down to the office. "So.. why do you have crutches, really?"

I shrugged "my leg melted in the wreck, I can't walk."

"Oh! That makes sense."

I was glad he understood and didn't keep probing with questions. We made it to the office right when Mr. Turner exited. He nodded in the direction of the cafeteria and we followed him. On our way there I asked the question that was bugging me. "Blake, why are you here?"

He gave me a humerus glance and smirked "Once upon a time a mommy and a daddy loved each other..." he stated, but before he could finish I elbowed him in the rib.

"Not like that, why are you here for the military meeting?"

"I did go to Military school, that counts." He said. The light bulb clicked and I shrugged, I guess that counts too. "Why are you here?"

"I'll answer that later." I countered.

I was still contemplating wether or not to wear my uniform tomorrow. It was my duty, I had to do it, I also thought the benefits where pretty great too. Blake gave me a side ways glance. "What?" I asked

"Why won't you tell me?"

"I'm still contemplating something, patience is something you need to learn."

We reached the cafeteria and everyone sat down in the chairs. I sat down in the back row and Blake sat down next to me. There where about 20 students in the room, and they all waited intently on what Mr. Turner was going to say.

"Alright students you all came here because you know someone who is in the military, so pass these around," he started to pass out pieces of paper "get them to read this and ask them if they can come tomorrow, if so they must wear there uniform and they will talk about their experience."

After everyone got the paper he dismissed us and I stared at the paper.

-Talk about your experiences, what it was like, were you where, and any other details

I needed to talk to Clara and Dustin about this, I have an obligation but I don't know what to do. I turned to Blake "what are you going to talk about?"

"My experience."

"Dude, you haven't been in battle, what will you talk about?"

"The school probably."

I nodded, I was looking forward to that, I wanted to know what it was like in that school. I pulled out my phone and texted Clara.

Me: I need help in making a decision, can you come over after school?

Clara: already ahead of you, asked my mom if I could sleep over the moment the announcement wa over

Me: see, this is why your my friend

Clara: I hope that's not the only reason.....

I laughed and put my phone away. Quickly stabbing Blake in the leg for fun, I hobbled down the hallway as fast as I could.
▬▬▬▬۩▬▬▬▬
Note:
You guys are awesome, did you know that?
Thank you so much for 3.76k+ reads! 😍💕
Love you all! 😘
Comment•Vote•Share