Timeless Chp. 7

I take a sharp breath in, and bury my face in his shoulder, suddenly distressed. I just almost died. "I'm such an idiot! I thought...god Zeke I'm such a mess!" I say into his shirt, slightly panicked. Now that I think about it, the net is on the other side. "Don't ever do that again." Zeke says, relieved but just as stressed as me. I take a deep breath, trying to calm my heart rate. "I wasn't thinking. You saved my life. Again." I say, looking up at his worried face. "I never want to lose you Cal. Please be more careful." He pleads, staring into my eyes. Careful is not my definition of a Dauntless. Why is he being so protective lately? "You seem worried." I say, suddenly curious. "Well yeah I'm worried, you almost killed yourself!" he say, exasperated. "No not that, just in general." I clarify. He sighs. "I know some things now. From work." I blink. Does he know what's going on with my mother? About Divergence? "Like what?" I ask carefully. He purses his lips "I can't say." He responds softly, but something flashes behind his eyes "What is it Zeke?" I ask, knowing something's wrong. "Why didn't you tell me Cal?" he ask quietly, looking at me. My heart jumps a bit into my throat. "About what?" He sighs "Are there multiple things?" he says, getting slightly upset. I pale a bit. "You're Divergent." He says. My face falls. He does know. I hope he knows how badly I wanted to tell him. Now everything might come crumbling down. "It's dangerous." I say, pleading. "I couldn't tell anyone. Only Four knows." But something isn't right. If only Four knows, then how did Zeke find out? "No, the whole government knows. The only reason they didn't kill you is because of Four." He say, answering my question. My heart beats a bit faster. They know? My eyes widen. I'm in a lot of danger. "He convinced them your Divergence was weak. Eric still insisted on testing a new simulation. The one that made you so sick. I don't think it was just a simulation." He says, frowning. I bite my lip. I've always known Four was watching out for me. But he saved my life. And I didn't even know. "And here I'd gone and assumed Eric was one of the nicer ones." He shakes his head. "He's been working with your mother." I go pale at the mention of her. This is bad. This is very, very bad. "Do you know what-" "No." he cuts me off. I look at the ground. What are we getting ourselves into?

We stay up on the roof for a while, just talking over things. It's nice to have his warmth against the cold wind. But it's getting dark. "Do you want to jump down?" I ask. He laughs "Sometimes I think you have a death wish." He says, but stands, pulling me with him. "Um, which side is it again?" I ask, glancing around. He stares at me blankly, disbelieving. "Kidding." I say, laughing. He tilts his head back "Why am I so gullible?" I grab his hand and walk toward what I believe to be the correct side of the roof. "You know, I was worried when I saw you up here. I thought they had you in a simulation. That they were forcing you to kill yourself." He says, looking at me. I stare at him, and shake my head. "I'm Divergent." I remind him, stepping closer to the edge. He follows me, and we teeter on the ledge, staring downwards. I look at him for a moment "I can't be controlled by anyone." I whisper, and jump.

I spend the night at his apartment. The next morning, Shauna has obviously grown curious as to where I am, and comes to find me. I'd assume she checked my apartment first, but you never know. She knocks on the door when I'm still half asleep. I pull on one of Zeke's big t-shirts and walk to the door, blinking the sleep out of my eyes. "The walk of shame." Shauna teases as I open the door. I laugh quietly, trying not to wake up Zeke. She walks in, uninvited. But, she is Shauna. What did I expect? "Does he even have any food?" she asks, starting to go through his cupboards. I raise an eyebrow. She then looks over at Zeke, sprawled out on the bed with no shirt. She eyes him carefully, smirking a bit. I clear my throat, and she looks away, grinning widely. "It doesn't look like you two were thinking much about food." I roll my eyes, but smile at her teasing. Zeke groans once, starting to wake up. She winks "Better get out of here before he catches me." I smirk, because it's too late for that. He sits up groggily. "What the..." he mumbles, blinking a few times. I laugh. He looks at her, annoyed "Shauna!" he groans. "I'm leaving!" she says, putting her hands up. Then she walks right out the still open door. I am still laughing, and Zeke just flops back down on his face.

A/N: Sorry about the lack of updates, been really busy. Slap dat vote button if you enjoyed, and Stay Dauntless:)

-Argo