Timeless Chp. 8- Tyson's Return

Four starts out on a touchy subject today. One that I know far too well. "As you know, some of the population have an ability to manipulate or resist simulations. They also have aptitude for more than one faction, and are generally uncontrollable." I sigh. Yes, that would be me. Shauna crosses her arms "Divergent, right?" He nods. "The current policy is to kill them. In Dauntless, anyways. I don't enforce that, nor do I expect you to. In fact, I hope you don't." I have absolutely no intention of enforcing that rule. If they'd followed it every time, I'd be dead. It's only thanks to Four that I'm not. I'll have to thank him sometime. I stay silent, but Shauna does not. Her eyes flare "That ridiculous!" Four nods again. "Exactly. That's why when I find one, I delete the footage and warn them immediately." He glances at me, only for a second, but it's enough for Shauna to pick up on. She looks at us both for a moment. "I'm missing something here." I raise an eyebrow at her. "I think you can figure it out Shauna." She seems puzzled for a moment, then understanding dawns on her face. "Oh. You two have a little Divergent club." I shrug "I guess." Four stiffens a bit. Come to think of it, he's never told me if he's Divergent. But I'm almost positive that he is. I doubt he'd tell me if he was, but I ask anyways. "Are you Divergent Four?" He clears his throat, uncomfortable. "I don't like to disclose that information." He says, being purposefully wordy. Shauna raises an eyebrow "So yes?" I lean back in my chair, smirking. He sighs, exasperated. But I can tell he thinks it funny. There's just a slight hint of a smile behind his eyes. "I need to watch out for you two. You're going to get me in trouble." He says, eyeing us teasingly. "So this little Divergent club. Does Zeke know about this?" Shauna says, jumping fairly off-topic. I roll my eyes. Yeah, he knows, but I don't really want to admit that in front of Four. He seems to sense it "Shauna what part of 'warn them not to tell anyone' did not get through to your brain?" he says, crossing his arms. She goes quiet "Sorry." Four has a way of doing this. Shaming you into silence with little more than the blink of an eye.

We have cake at dinner tonight. Zeke walks up with a huge pile of the stuff, which I eye carefully. "My god did you take the whole thing?" I tease, and Shauna laughs. She's on some sort of health streak right now. Sucks for her. I grab a fork and start eating off his plate, which earns me a glare. But I don't really care. It's Dauntless cake. Literally the best stuff on Earth. And Zeke has plenty to share.

As I walk back to my room alone, as I have a habit of doing, my mind wanders. Things have been peaceful today. It's nice to have a break for once; to not have someone hunting you or trying to steal your boyfriend. It's almost too good to be true. So of course, I'm not all that surprised when I hear footsteps behind me, echoing on the cold stone floor.

I don't turn around, because I really don't want to deal with Tori or whoever else might want to bother me right now. If it was Zeke or Shauna, they wouldn't have been so quiet about it. Four doesn't really walk around much. He's always at the gym. So whoever it is is probably just going home. But then again, that would have been too easy, wouldn't it?

A cold metal object is pressed to the back of my head, causing my heart to leap up into my throat. I can feel the adrenaline instantly start to pump through my veins, as it should in this kind of situation. Things were just too quiet, weren't they? My mind races as the person presses the gun barrel into my skull. Who on earth is trying to kill me right now? And why am I such an idiot? I can't seem to learn that walking alone in the Dauntless compound is a bad idea. But this doesn't usually happen. Why is it always me? I stop walking, trying to remain calm and act exasperated. Could this be a Dauntless leader, not convinced my Divergence is weak enough? One of my mother's cronies? Maybe even Tori? I stand still, crossing my arms, and refusing to turn around. "Is this really necessary?" I say, keeping my voice strong and annoyed, as a Dauntless is expected to sound in the face of danger. A male voice chuckles "Absolutely. I told you I'd come." He says. Ice rushes over my body, freezing me in place. I'd almost forgotten. Tyson, of course. Who else stalks girls late at night? I do carry a gun, for this exact reason. But I don't dare move. Not yet. "I was waiting for you to show up." I say coldly. But my heart is pounding. I don't want to die. "Aren't you going to ask how I got here?" he sneers into my right ear. I shiver slightly, wanting him away from me, right now. But I'm not going to play his games. But he does have a gun at my head. Still, maybe I can stall him enough for someone to show up and distract him. "How did you get here Tyson?" I say in mock shock and excitement. He presses the metal harder into my flesh, making me wince slightly. "Glad you asked. A friend of mine let me in." he say coyly. I don't have a lot of trouble figuring out who this is. Sara has always liked him, and pulls some weight when it comes to transporting things. Plus she really hates me. "So are you going to shoot me or not?" I say nonchalantly. But my fists are clenching into balls involuntarily. I could die. It's about a 99% chance, actually. But I can't seem afraid, or even shaken in any way at all. Not with Tyson here. Not in Dauntless. He snarls "Stop toying with me. I know someone who wants you. So no, I'm not shooting you just yet. You're coming with me." This strikes fear into my heart more than the notion of dying. I can't go back to my mother, or Eric. I won't. She would experiment on me. Toy with my brain. I would be trapped. "I'm not going anywhere with you." I say firmly, my voice finally saturated with hate. "She's right you know." Four says casually from behind Tyson, to his right. A rush of relief floods me. Why am I so lucky? I seem to get myself into bad situations and then promptly get out. But this isn't over yet. Four points his own gun at Tyson, who freezes, obviously unprepared to fight both of us fairly. Tyson starts to move his gun away from my slightly. Now is my chance, while he's focused on Four. At least, that's what I thought. I dive to the side, reaching for my own gun on my right hip. In hindsight, this was not my best decision. Tyson's focus snaps back to me, and as if in slow motion, fires.

An explosion of pain goes off in my side, missing my arm by centimeters. But somehow, that probably would have been a better place to get shot. Not so lucky anymore, am I? I scream, such a loud shriek that I can feel it damaging my vocal cords. My side throbs, and stings like, well, like I've been shot. I can feel the blood gushing and it hurts, god it hurts. I hear more gunshots, but I can't tell if they are aimed at me. Nor do I care. I'm dying. I clutch at the wound, starting to fall. Slick, hot blood pours over my hands quickly. I try to apply pressure, but it just hurts so bad. This all happened too fast. One second I was going home, the next I'm bleeding to death. I hear a high pitched scream, and somehow know it's me. My heart is pounding out of my chest with adrenaline. I'm shocked I haven't passed out yet. I sink to my knees, feeling like someone cut a hole in my side with a dull, hot knife. I know I'm crying, and sweating, because it hurts. It just hurts so badly. Death would almost be a relief. Please let me black out; I want to black out. It hurts, it hurts. My vision starts to go blurry and red. Time seems to slow down to an even slower rate than it was already ticking at, every detail jumping out at me. I feel my hands go limp, the sticky blood making them slip onto the ground. I'm vaguely aware of my head hitting the stone floor, and a damp sort of smell. I hear my name called as if through a tunnel, and things start to fade. Finally, sweet blackness drifts over my eyes.

A/N: noooooooo!!! Comment with what you think will happen, and slap dat vote button, and of course, stay Dauntless:)

-Argo