3 Until Our Dates Separate Us

Jonas~~

The space beside me on the bed is empty as it's always been, but one day, soon, it won't be anymore. There's a scent of batter cooking in the air, and smelling it from bed is an unfamiliar occurance for me. The kitchen has always been too far from my room wherever I've lived: both at the new Estate and the old one. I get out of bed intending to head downstairs but the sight of Colton in the bed across from me stops me. His body faces me, still asleep. His eyelids are red and the skin around his eyes bears splotches.

I don't know if he cried before or after he fell into sleep. I do know that he wouldn't want anyone to see him like this so I make sure to close the door when I head downstairs.

The sight before me is honestly—I'm going to pull an Iris here and say—weird. In the kitchen Iris and my mother are cooking pancakes. My mother doesn't cook. I stop on the stairs and lean against the wall, my arms crossed, taking in the sight. Iris shows her how to flip the pancakes in the skillet and my mother eagerly tries her hand at it. As she flips it the batter proves too runny and ruins that pancake. My mother laughs though, and I can't help but laugh too which makes them look up. Iris comes over and pulls me into the kitchen.

"Have you ever made pancakes before?" she asks.

"That would be a no."

"You're going to learn then. Here." She shoves the nearly empty mixing bowl into my hands and passes me a large wooden spoon. "We need more batter." She shows me what to add in and leaves me unattended while she goes back to helping my mother.

I mix in the eggs—I have cracked eggs in the past—and add in the water as well as the rest of the ingredients and stir. I hold the bowl in one hand as I do so to be able to watch the two of them. Iris isn't wearing her ring, but it doesn't bother me because I know she has a good reason for not wearing it. We haven't even announced it so her walking in with an engagement ring could raise questions before they're ready to be answered.

"How's it going, love?" my mother asks me.

"Surprisingly decent, I think."

"I realized I never made you boys breakfast before. . . I've never really made much."

I smile. "We did have private chefs. It's not like we ever expected it."

"Still, I didn't realize how much I wanted to do it until the opportunity was presented to me."

"Isn't that how it always is?" Iris has a twinkle in the quick glance she throws my mother before she lets a pancake slide onto the plastic plate next to the stove.

I can't help but stare at her. I didn't realize how much I wanted someone to love until she came into my life—until I realized I could love someone.

One and then two or by two and then one, my family comes down the stairs, each stopping on the steps when they see the three of us. Each time this happens Iris asks if they want to join us and each time they turn up their noses. Colton, whose face has cleared up, and my cousins are only in their boxers. I'm wearing a t-shirt with my pair, the bandage covering my Expiration Date on full display. I can get away with that because everyone knows the Preeminence's Date is not allowed to be seen by others. My father comes down in jeans and wearing a shirt, always a step ahead of everyone else.

Riley, my Eta, stops on the stairs.

"You want to help?" Iris asks him.

"Uhh. . . sure."

She places her hands on his shoulders and directs him in front of a cutting board. Handing him a knife and a stack of bowls she tells him to chop up the fruit on the counter behind him. "There are chocolate chips in the fridge."

Riley demonstrates ease with slicing the bananas and strawberries. I guess Iris has enough experience with the members of the Order and knives. Bently. . .

"Done," Riley announces, and Iris takes the bowls and sets them on the table.

I intercept her on her way back and whisper in her ear, "Let's tell them during breakfast?"

Her eyes flick to my family gathered around the table who try to act patient and she nods.

A few minutes later the table is set and several tall stacks of pancakes run the length of the table. Everyone waits until my mother is seated to begin eating. Iris is next to me and her hand shakes as she reaches for pancakes.

This is me and her taking a stand.

"Iris and I are engaged."

No one stops eating. No one even momentarily pauses.

"About time," Eli mutters, reaching for his glass of orange juice.

Iris is stiff. "You're not protesting this?"

Sebastian cuts into a pancake. "We were all waiting for you two to get some guts and go for it."

My father looks me straight in the eye. "I was beginning to think you didn't have it in you."

"You're all right with this?" I grip the front of my chair.

"I assume you have a plan," he says.

"Colton's heir becomes Preeminence."

My father sighs. "You'll still have to deal with Moretti."

"I intend to."

My mother reaches over and pats the spot on the table in front of me. "I'm happy for you two." I never asked my parents if they were in love when they married. That's something you don't ask. Not in the Society. She was the type of person he had to marry—Amorian. "You better show me how to make more things," she tells Iris. "Did you have fun, Riley?"

He spears a banana and slice of pancake and inspects it. "Knives are always fun."

A grin spreads across Iris's face. "We're going to be siblings, Colton."

He merely looks at her and returning to his food. No snarky comeback. He's been odd the past months but if anything was getting better.

August and Eli tap their glasses together, and August says, "I can't wait to see what these coming months bring."

"You think she'll make it?" Eli asks him.

August stares at her and frowns. "That's to be seen."

"She has a tendency of not dying," Seong-ho says. My Zeta finally told his mother about his twin daughters. That's the only reason he's even here with us now and not at the Estate with them.

Iris places her hand on my knee. "I'd appreciate no more attempts on my life, Colton, Bently." A pause. "Seong-ho."

"Can we see the ring?" my mother asks.

Iris glances at me, biting her lip. "I didn't feel comfortable wearing it in front of you until you heard the news. Though you all did take it better than we expected."

"We were all were waiting for it."

Riley taps his knife against his glass. "This calls for a toast." He raises the glass in the air and the rest of my family copies him. Of course, Riley is the one I can count on the most to support my decisions. "May you be together until your Dates separate you."