66 My Ball of Thread

Jonas~~

The sun has yet to rise, and the dark sky is cloudy with a reddish orange hue cast over the layers of black as Colton stands at my side in the middle of the blocked off road. Elleany's and Amoria's soldiers line up, preparing to venture down into the catacombs. We're not sending all our troops; that would be unwise. Were we to lose, there has to be someone left to fight. It was also decided in our meeting yesterday not to send France's soldiers down there because they're vulnerable without Expiration Dates. Instead, they're evacuating the Parisians from the area.

A gun is strapped to both my sides, a tranquilizer and a hand gun. A knife hangs from my right. Amoria brought tranquilizer guns to compete against Odette's stock, but not every soldier will have one.

Colton rubs his eyes, and I worry that he's tired before we've already begun. "If our soldiers could die, Odette's army would be able to slaughter us on the stairs."

"I know."

They can still tear into our soldiers. Death isn't the only wound to leave a mark. Knowing only one of their entrances—the entrance Odette wanted us to know about—is a disadvantage to say the least. Especially when her Amoris know the other ways in and out and can flee from the catacombs and into the city if they decide they don't want to fight anymore. We've stationed soldiers around the city in the hope that luck will be on our side, and they'll be near one of our enemy's exits.

Gwen steps up beside me, eyes on the soldiers before us. "Preeminence, Beta." Her face is stoic. Not withdrawn though, not distant. You can't do that before a fight or you'll lose. Your mind has to be constantly turning over your environment, analyzing your enemies. She squared away her emotions, embracing her title of Tresais and setting aside her feelings for us as her brothers.

Tobias steps up behind me and Gwen. "After you rescue the beautiful Iris, will you and your fiancée visit the Eiffel Tower?"

I feel Sebastian hovering behind my other shoulder. "Speaking as Eli, it might be hard to have a funeral all the way up there."

All of us turn to look at Sebastian. I catch the stunned expression on Colton's face, Tobias's look of horror.

Sebastian shrugs. "When all twelve of us aren't together, I like to be the voice of them."

"Okay," Colton says, "but Eli isn't actually speaking through you."

Our Theta stretches his neck. "It's four AM. Forgive me if my censoring abilities have yet to be turned on."
Blinking, I face the soldiers again. She won't be dead. She won't.

Under the sign of an apothecary shop across the road from the flower shop, Erik and Vienna converse. Farther up the road, Alastair speaks with one of his commanders. Abella and Alix remained at the palace. Tucked away. Safe. Mid'haa at their side ready to provide them with updates.

While the twins know the truth, we explained to everyone else that the Amorian troops as an army Elleany has kept secret to hide the true size of our forces. Whether France's or my own troops believe that, has yet to be decided. They might have had the wild thought that perhaps they're aliens, but could they actually find it in themselves to believe that, and if they do, would they actually voice it out loud?

I'm frankly not sure how much longer the Society can keep who we are a secret.

Colton places his hand on my shoulder, and at first I stiffen against his touch, but then I relax. His touch seems to say, I'm here. No matter what, I'm here. Sebastian and Tobias follow suit, and each place a hand near my shoulder blades. Gwen angles toward us, her eyebrows drawn together.