Chapter 14

"You just had to keep talking. Why do you always have to be right?" Jessica asks as she escorts me out of my jail cell.

"Wow. Record timing Jess. I was only in there maybe 10 minutes. And look, I wouldn't be in this business if I didn't know the risks. Is that channel 6 crew ok? Nothing happened to them, right?"

"No. They're all fine. But they are charging you with harassment of an officer, Dakota."

"Yeah, well, it's on national news. So they can't. Because they didn't mirandize​ me. I did it to myself. Which means, they can't charge me because the arrest wasn't legal."

"Wow. I didn't realize how good you were until now." She chuckles. She hands me a new set of clothes as we make our way to the front office. I get a few glares as I make my way to the bathroom to change.

I come out feeling much better. Jessica leads me outside and there are news reporter everywhere.

"Dakota, is it true that you're going to have to face trial?" One asks.

"Dr. Barrett, what exactly will happen when the pipeline leaks?" Another asks. But none of them​ catch my attention. Only he does.

I start walking slowly through them, making it half way across the street. And on the other side, leaning against the fence, with a bouquet of all of my favorite flowers, including orange roses, is the one and only Tony Stark. My eyes can't help themselves. The tears fall and there's no stopping them.

He notices my tears and starts walking toward me, but I don't walk anymore. I take off running toward him, missing him now more than I realized. He slows down when he sees me, takes a stance, and catches me mid air. He spins me around and I wrap my legs around his waist as I bury my head into his shoulder, not caring that he can hear my sobs now.

I wrap my arms around him tightly, and I'm afraid to even move because I don't know if this is real all just yet.

"Gosh I missed you." He whispers into my shoulder.

"I missed you too Tony." I whisper back and I know its real. And I don't want to let him go ever again.

"I promise, I'll make up for all of it." He smiles up at me. "Hold these." He says as he hands me my flowers. As I take them, he detaches my legs, scooping me up bridal style, and starts walking toward his car. We don't even care that this whole time, the reporters where raving over our relationship they never knew about, but now the whole world knows.

"I'll see you in the office Monday boss." Jessica yells over the crowd. I look back at her and smile. This is what I wanted all along. I was just too stubborn and hard headed to admit it.

"So, where are we going?" I ask as he gets in the car.

"Home." He smiles over at me. He reaches over and grabs my hand. I smile at this, missing how it felt under his touch. It's only been a month and half, but it feels like I missed out on a lifetime with him.

I unbuckle my seat belt, scoot over and lay my head in his lap as he drives. I can hear him chuckling from above me as I draw little circles over his hand.

"Home sounds nice." I sigh, completely content with my life. And as I'm drifting off to sleep, the last thing I remember is the smell of my lovely flowers from the back seat.

~~~~

I wake up to find myself in the tower, under the covers of Tony's bed. Well, this is new. I look over and see him snuggled into my side, with a light smile across his face. That sucker really carried me up here.