Chapter 30

(Song Chapter: Bring Me Back To Life by Ht Bristol, Charlie Bannister, Vincent Steele, & Nine One One)

My jet lands and I can see the battle in the distance. My heart hasn't been this unsteady before. I planned on charging out there, guns blazing, but then I remembered what Helen told me.

The chip is cracked. If it breaks completely, it could kill me. My powers will be back, at full force.

"I can't get past this hallway. I'm hitting a dead end. And I've got company." I hear Natasha say over the comms.

I rush behind the building and find the quinjet in the distance. I race inside and pull out all of my computer gear.

"Try the door to your left." I state as I break through the buildings firewall and hack into their locking systems.

"D, is that you?" She yells as I see her open the left door. I lock it behind her.

"Who else would it be? Now, you'll have to open the ceiling panel in the far right corner. Once inside, you'll see an air vent. You'll have to go through it, and take the first right. It'll dump you out in a neutral area where you can choose your direction from there."

"God I missed you." She chuckles and starts doing as instructed.

"Dakota?" Tony says.

"Yes honey, I'm on the jet." I smile.

"You better stay there young lady. We don't need a repeat of our last mission." Sam states.

"Roger that." I chuckle.

"Are you okay?" Bucky asks.

"Never better. Glad to be somewhat back in the field."

"Hey D, could use a little help here." Clint yells as he runs from a group of agents.

"Ok, turn left at the corner and open the first door on the right." I say as I unlock it for him. He blows it open and shut it's quietly while I lock it back. "Now don't make any noise."

The agents scatter, splitting up to look for him. All passing the door and heading down separate hallways.

"Now, quietly exit the room and go back the way you came."

"Thank D." He says breathlessly.

I scan all of the cameras, watching my team take out agent after agent. I can see a room that they have all of the hostages in and a few guards are keeping them from being loud or escaping.

"Guys, I've found the hostages. They are in the very middle of the building. Second floor, biggest conference room there. You can't miss it. There are a few agents in there keeping guard. But the rest of the floor is completely empty."

"Good work D. Nat, Clint, Wanda, Scott, see if you can't free the hostages. The rest of us will continue the fight out here. We are going to need a rescue plane for them."

"I have my jet here. No need to call in any other planes." I state.

"That worked out well." Sam states. I can hear him chuckle at his own witty comeback.

I'm breathing in and breaking down

I feel my time is running out.

The fire in my heart will burn me to the ground.

I did my part, I tried my best.

The things I'm fighting to protect,

Always shatter into pieces in the end.