-E I G H T E E N-

Chapter Eighteen: Thanksgiving

I spent the next day thinking about Griffin. He's so closed off, so I never got to learn anything about him. He hardly showed his true emotions. I always thought it was because he was the Grim Reaper and that's what they did. That was when he told me about his mom, I saw the same pain I saw when I talked about my grandma's death after the Halloween party.

There was far more to Griffin than what meets the eye.

I woke up Thursday with a huge smile on my face. It was finally Thanksgiving, which meant I was about to stuff my face with food. Besides Christmas, Thanksgiving was the only day of the year I could stuff my face without a shred of guilt. Lindsay came home last night, so she didn't have to risk missing out on dinner. Tanner worked out extra hard this week so he could allow himself this one day. His season may have ended, but he continued to stay healthy.

I took a long shower and got ready for the day. Instead of my usual sweaters, I wore a red and black flannel and black jeans. I let my hair down and sprayed it with water. Once it curled like I wanted, I bounced into the kitchen. My nose was immediately assaulted with multiple smells. The first one I recognized was ham. My mouth began watering just thinking about it.

"Nope, get out," Mom spun around to me. "Take the dog for a walk or something."

I gaped at her, "Are you serious?"

"For once I'd like to have an entire ham make it to the table," She glared before continuing to cook. "What're your friends doing today?"

I took a seat at the island, right across from her, "Indie went to visit her family out of town and Kira's at her granny's house."

"Mhm. What about Griffin?"

"Oh, he's not American so he doesn't celebrate," I responded.

It was technically true. Griffin doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving and he's not American. The real reason he doesn't celebrate is that Reapers don't celebrate Thanksgiving. Just like they don't celebrate Halloween. Those are mortal world holidays. He said they only celebrate Christmas and New Years. Everything else would be a waste of time. It's not celebrated among Reapers, but Reapers still celebrate the holidays if they want.

She sent me a sly grin, "He's not American?"

I shook my head, ignoring the look she was giving me. I refused to succumb to her foolishness, "He was born in Italy and lived there for nine years."

"I'm proud of you, Kenzie," She smiled. "Moving on from these stupid American guys and getting you a spicy European."

"Yeah except one thing, mom."

"And what's that?"

"We're not dating!"

She rolled her eyes and tossed the vegetables she had been chopping into a large bowl. She was making a salad for Tanner. He threw a fit last year because she didn't make him a salad. It seems to be the only way he gets around the whole Thanksgiving thing guilt-free. I usually ate the cucumbers before he noticed.

"So, are you inviting him or not?"

I shrugged, "If you want."

She smiled wide, "I would love that! Especially since Lindsay's boyfriend is coming over!"

My eyes widened, "Her boyfriend?!"

She nodded, "He'll be here at three. Now, take that dog for a walk before you're waddling like a penguin."

I shot up the stairs to Lindsay's room. Her room was a mixture of fashion statements and unorganized college student. It was like her suitcase exploded the second she put it down because her clothes were everywhere. Her makeup brushes were scattered all over her dresser along with her various makeup kits. Her desk was a mess. Papers were everywhere and her laptop acted as a paperweight.