Chapter 11

Back to Elaine's POV

Bri and I text regularly now and sometimes she brings me lunch, so I don't have to suffer through whatever diet Julian is on at the time. On the mornings that Julian has students and I don't, I'll take her coffee (along with a pound of sugar and a gallon of creamer) to her dad's garage and she does paperwork, whilst I chatter away about my kids and Meghan's weird ass behavior lately. We haven't had sex again, not that I wouldn't fuck her right there on her desk, given the chance, but neither of us have made the attempt. Maybe it's the fear of complicating our newly found friendship, or maybe it's the fear of catching feelings. Who knows?

Bri and Stephanie just kind of blended into our group of friends and we all hang out on a regular basis now. When Chris isn't around, Stephanie and Julian like to check out guys together and have pretty much melded into one person. He even convinced her to go on one of his weird diets with him, but that lasted all of a week, until she got a whiff of bacon one day. Jess and Bri are the parents of the group and spoil our fun when we get too crazy. Then there's Meghan, she gets along well with everyone, but something has been up with her and I can't get her to spill.

Ever since "hickey day", Meghan has two settings: Erratic and wild, or solemn and quiet. There's no in between. Julian thinks she's pregnant, Stephanie doesn't know her well enough to say, Bri thinks she met someone and Jess has stayed quiet on it. I'm lost on the whole thing and wish my best friend would just tell me what's going on with her.

I planned a Netflix Sunday with just Meghan and I, hoping she would open up to me and I was waiting for her to get there when I got a text from Bri:
Do you want to go to lunch tomorrow, rather than eat in your musty office?
I sent back a yes, as long as I get to pick the place and she text back: Deal

Meghan got to my house a little after one in the afternoon and was clearly hungover. I was disappointed, Meghan doesn't like to do anything, but curl up on the couch, when shes like this. I invited her in and she went straight to my couch, as I got her a pillow and blanket. I covered her up, then got her some water and turned on the television. I sat at her feet and rested my hand on her blanketed leg, then asked bluntly, "What's going on with you, Meghan?"

She didn't say anything for a while, just stared at the t.v. with a blank expression. We were fifteen minutes into a movie before she blurted out, "I'm in love with someone and they don't love me back."
Damn, Bri was right.

"Do I know this someone?" I asked.

"It doesn't matter," she huffed.

I pulled her blanket up and snaked myself behind her so I could hold her and said, "I'm sorry, babe" then kissed the back of her head. I didn't want to push her while her heart is breaking. The best thing I could do, was just be there for her.

"How did you get over Becc?" She whispered.

"I'll let you know when that happens," I told her.

"Have you ever thought about finding her and getting her back?" She asked.

At least a million times.

"No, it's what's best for both of us," I lied.

"You know, you can talk about her with me, you dont have to hold it in all the time. I'm your best friend, I won't judge," she assured.

"I know and I appreciate you, but it's just easier this way for now," I said honestly.

She seemed to accept this and we both dozed off, never finishing the movie.

I woke up around midnight with Meghan's face about two inches from mine and her arm around my waist, still fast asleep. She must have turned over at some point. I gently moved her arm, then used all my strength to lift myself up and over her and made it off the couch, without waking her.