Chapter 23

We rode to the concert together and I told them on the way, that Ashley wanted to meet up with us later.

"Yay! Maybe I can convince her to follow me back on the Insta." Stephanie said excitedly.

"Good luck with that, you know she couldn't give two fucks about social media. She probably doesn't even manage her own accounts." I snorted.

"Says the weirdo that doesn't have a single one. Why is that, anyway? Everyone has at least one thing, hell, my fucking Grandpa has a Twitter account." She huffed.

I shrugged my shoulders," Eh, it's just not for me," I said.

We headed to the venue and got a drink, then found our seats, which wasn't very fucking hard. They were right smack in the middle, at the very front.

I rubbed my hands nervously and Bri leaned over. "It won't be that bad. I promise. She's really good."

I frowned, "It's not that. It's just..I don't know. I'm sorry. Let's just enjoy the show."

She smiled and took my hand in hers, then stood when the lights went down and screamed along with Stephanie and Meghan. I pulled my hand away and clapped, then held my breath as Rebecca was raised to the stage from a platform underneath.

She was stunning and I was mesmerized. I could see her scanning the front row and managing to sing and dance at the same time. I watched her in awe as she completely owned the stage and brought down the house. It has been years since I've watched her perform and she is just as amazing as she has always been.

In the middle of her 5th song, her eyes finally locked onto mine and she slipped a little with the chorus. She took her eyes away and finished the song, then ran out to change her clothes before the next song.

The lights raised slightly, illuminating the arena, then she walked back out in a simple t-shirt and skinny jeans. She stood in front of a single microphone, looked right at me, then whispered the words, "For L."

The crowd erupted and the screen behind her lit up with a very familiar picture. It was the collage of our flat, that was on the last page of the booklet that belonged to the album, that has yet to be released.

With the picture enlarged, I could make out some of the pictures, that were otherwise impossible to see. I immediately recognised them as the photos we took and others took of us when we lived in the flat. I sucked in a breath and looked back to her.

She smiled sadly at me, then began to sing:

Hello world
Hope you're listening
Forgive me if I'm young
For speaking out of turn
There's someone I've been missing
I think they could be
The better half of me
They're in the wrong place trying to make it right
But I'm tired of justifying
So I say to you

Come home
Come home
Cause I've been waiting for ya
For so long
For so long
And right now there's a war between the vanities
But all I see is you and me
The fight for you is all I've ever known
So come home

I watched her as the tears streamed down my face and she removed the microphone to sit in front of me on stage, with her feet dangling.

I get lost in the beauty
Of everything I see
The world ain't half as bad
As they paint it to be
If all the sons
If all the daughters
Stopped to take it in
Well hopefully the hate subsides and the love can begin
It might start now yeah
Well maybe I'm just dreaming out loud
Until then