Chapter 13

Saturday got here before I knew it and my nerves were already on edge. Jess got a table up front for herself, Bri, Stephanie, Julian, Meghan and illegally snuck in Nina for the night. She's a great friend.

I helped the band set up and tested my electric guitar, whilst people began trickling in. Jess anticipated a packed house and that just made the nerves intensify. I tried to think back to when I would play with Rebecca's band and wonder why the nerves didn't seem to affect me then. Oh yeah, Rebecca was there, she always calmed me in even the most stressful situations. I closed my eyes and pretended she was there, standing next to me and telling me the lamest joke she could think of to make me laugh. That helped some.

The lights dimmed and I took a deep breath as Itsy counted us in. Here we go...

We played for an electric crowd. They stood and danced or sang along, whilst my friends would cheer ridiculously loud when I sang or played a solo. The last time I felt this way, I was on stage with Rebecca at an outside concert arena in England. I missed this, but my magic happened underneath a pencil. I accepted my talents, but it felt good to step into someone else's dream for a while. It was an adrenaline rush.

We took a break and I sat with my friends for a while until we had to start up again. They were so supportive and lifted me up higher than the crowd did. Everyone but Bri, was surprised because she's the only one I've sang for and Stephanie made a comment that I was a natural, like I had performed before. I shrugged her comment off and went back to the stage and finished out the night.

The band stayed behind and hung out with us until the bar closed. Nina and KP seemed to hit it off and were a little too close to comfort for me. I know she's turning 18 in a few months, but it still bothered me; she's like my little sister and I didn't want her to get hurt.

We wrapped up the night and Nina drove Bri, Meghan, Stephanie and I back to my house, so they could crash at mine. Nina lied to her parents and said she was staying at a friends house, whilst we had no business driving, even though we weren't totally smashed. I have 3 bedrooms, so we gave Nina her own room, since she's minor, Bri and Stephanie took one, then Meghan and I took mine.

I tried to fall asleep that night, but I was too wound up. I tossed and turned until Meghan finally kicked me and told me to, "Go the fuck to sleep or get punched in the crotch. My choice."

Well, fuck that. I rolled out of bed and padded to the kitchen.

Bri was sitting at the island, sipping on a bottle of water, so I grabbed a bottle for myself and sat at the barstool next to her.
"Couldn't sleep?" She asked

I shook my head and took a drink.

"Me either." She said.

We sat in silence for a while, then I spoke up, "Thanks for coming tonight, it means a lot that you showed up."

She leaned over and put her head on my shoulder, "I wouldn't have missed it for the world."

I laid my cheek on her head and wrapped my arm around her shoulder.

She spoke again, "Stephanie said she thinks you've been in a band before. She said the way you performed tonight seemed too natural for you. Have you?"

I hesitated and thought about my words before finally saying, "I had some friends that were in a band when I was a kid. Sometimes, I would perform with them if they needed an extra instrument or voice."

"Well, Steph is going to just love being right about this one." She said.

I smiled and removed my arm from her shoulder and rubbed her back.
"Want to watch shitty infomercials and pretend to be interested buyers?" I asked.