Chapter 27

The grand opening was upon us and we were running around with short tempers. It was way too early in the morning for this shit. Bri became a super bitch and stepped up to put us in our places, whilst handling the kitchen problems. Jess was obsessing over the amount of liquor that was lacking in her opinion. (It was not) Nina and KP were working with Ashley on stage and sound. Julian and I were doing last minute clean up and Meghan was playing Pac man in the game room. She was the most calm out of us all, obviously.

After we finished doing everything that Bri ordered us to do, we all left and got ready for the night. The doors were set to open at 5:00 p.m., with the first performance to start at 7:00 p.m. The first act will be a drag king and queen performance and scheduled to last an hour, then the rest would be local bands and Ashley. After midnight, the DJ will take over and hopefully, the night will be easier from there.

We stood in the main area of the club as the DJ took her spot, to start the music that will be played until the first performance and twiddled our thumbs. The people hired to check i.d.'s were already waiting in the front room that held the double doors leading into the club and security moved to their spots at each entrance. Tonight, Bri decided it was best to only allow patrons in through the main doors, until Ashley's performance was done. The club is 18 and over only, so she feared the worst, but prepared for teenagers attempting to sneak in.

The bouncers nodded to Jess before opening the main doors leading to the foyer, then nodded to the bouncers at the front doors after they were open. We held our breaths as the rush of people began piling in.

It was a circus. There were teenagers being escorted out left and right, whilst a barrage of people flowed through the main doors and straight to the huge bar set up in the middle of the room. The music started up immediately and Bri, along with Jess, began their frantic running around to make sure everything was ok.

Meghan, Stephanie, Julian, Nina and I stood watch in the VIP area that was located closest to the stage and was roped off, only allowing those with tickets to enter. Security had their hands full with that as well. So many people tried to sneak in.

Bri did an amazing job with hiring and the wait staff was on top of their game. The kitchen was already filling up with orders and the game room proved to be one of the more popular places to hang out.

By the time the drag show started, the night had calmed down. It was packed in the club and was probably nearing capacity, but everyone kept in constant contact with each other through an ear piece. There were over a thousand people there, according to Bri and there was a line outside, waiting to get in still. I was so proud of Jess, she did it.

Everyone except for Bri, sat at the table reserved for us at the very front of the stage and watched as the host revved up the crowd for the first act of the night.

The host tonight is a good friend of Jess that used to be a pretty famous drag queen herself, but has since retired:
"Welcome, ladies and gents, to the grand opening of Club Meg!"

Yeah, Jess made a punny with Meghan's name and it made me wonder how long they've actually been seeing each other.

"First off, we would like to thank you for choosing us to celebrate the New Year and the reopening of a club that has been so dear to us throughout the years. Second, I want to personally congratulate Jess on such a huge accomplishment. She has been a pillar in this community since she opened her first bar and we are all grateful for everything you've done. Thank you Jess!!!
And now, without further ado, please welcome our first performance of the night, Mr. Right Now!!!"