Epilogue

THIRD PERSON'S POV

"This year's 2022 Song of the Summer award goes to... Lauren Jauregui!"

The words were still resonating in Lauren's ears, even hours after the VMAs aired. Now, she stood at an after party where a good amount of the artists nominated for the MTV Video Music Awards were here. From the looks of it, some actors and actresses were at the party as well. Lauren heard about it from her friend, Halsey. Apparently someone had rented out a club and invited a bunch of artists, so now they were all in the same building.

The music was loud, blaring through the speakers and into the floorboards. Lauren could feel the vibrations of the bass in her chest, yet the words of the announcer were all she could still hear.

"Lauren!"

Someone called for the girl, but she was so zoned out that she didn't hear him.

"Lauren!"

Lauren finally turned towards the voice once he grabbed her shoulder, catching the singer by surprise. She looked into her friend's eyes, happy to see a familiar face.

"Khalid?" she said, though the music drowned her out.

"You made it!" Khalid cheered, throwing his hands up then pulling Lauren in for a hug. He quickly pulled back to say, "Congrats on the win!"

Lauren could tell that the boy was already drunk, and she hoped she could catch up to him in that sense. "Thanks! Congrats on all the nominations!"

"What?" Khalid yelled, bending closer to Lauren.

"Congrats on your nominations! You had a lot!" Lauren repeated, though she doubted he heard her.

Khalid pulled back, laughing and pointing to his ear, "I can't hear you."

Lauren waved it off with a smile on her face, knowing she would talk to him tomorrow and could congratulate him then.

"Let's get you a drink! We have to celebrate!" he cheered, leading Lauren to the bar.

Lauren eagerly went with him, ready to start celebrating with everyone. When they both arrived at the bar, two tequila shots were quickly made and down their throats.

"Another?" Lauren asked Khalid, who laughed as he poured two more. The two clinked the shot glasses in cheers, tapped the glass back to the counter, then threw the alcohol to the back of their throats and swallowed. Lauren felt the familiar burning sensation, which she relished in.

Khalid leaned in to speak in Lauren's ear so she could hear everything he was going to say. "A group of us are downstairs. You wanna hang?"

Knowing what he meant by that, she nodded her head in response. Khalid turned to head towards their friends, but quickly spun to look back at Lauren with a nervous look on his face.

Lauren couldn't hear him, but could read his lips as he spoke to himself. Khalid repeatedly whispered 'fuck' as he closed his eyes harshly.

"What's wrong?" Lauren asked, placing her hand on his shoulder.

Khalid looked up at Lauren, smiling sheepishly. "You know how bad I am around my crush," he chuckled.

"Your crush?" Lauren asked, not knowing who his crush was.

"Well, celebrity crush," he clarified. "I've never met her before."

"Then let's change that," Lauren smirked. "Who is it?" she asked as she walked to his side in order to see behind him.