Wealth & Other Ventures

We made town in the early evening. It had taken longer to reach with our tired horses, but worth it. We could slip away into the familiar streets of Ravensbrooke and never be seen again unless we desired it. Weeks before we had been paid to protect a wealthy noble we had resided here. 

Our past employment consisted of paid protection and occasional assassination. We put our skills to use frequently and were exceedingly well known in these streets. A useful asset to have when carrying such valuable cargo...

John inhaled heavily. "Ahh. The smell of the victorious returning home." He sighed as he dropped his hood and combed a hand through his black hair. 

The move didn't escape the notice of a small group of girls that giggled profusely near a fabric stall. John threw them a wink and it sent the poor girls into fluttering hysterics.

Kaden grunted something under his breath and I pulled my hood lower to hide my eyes rolling out of my head.

"May I finally borrow that crossbow, Tay?" Kaden grunted sourly.

"You will sooner hit the girls than you will John." I snorted.

"How else would he make contact with a girl?" John added barely able to control himself.

I leant over the side of my horse in fits of laughter and John barely managed to stay seated when Kaden swung the hilt of his broadsword at his unprotected back. If I had any empathy or lighthearted type of personality, I would probably console my friend. But my sense of humour was darker than a starless night. It was just not in my nature to be caring as such. It was the exact reason why these two buffoons sat beside me now. 

Devils the lot of us.

"There is a man that could handle a real woman." A sultry female voice uttered from behind us. I turned in my saddle to see a red headed woman among the bystanders with a few too many curves looking in Kaden's direction appreciatively. I was about to respond but Kaden beat me.

"Another one already gawking at this fool... gods I do not know how they favour a moron so much." Kaden grumbled without even turning to see her hungry look.

I pulled on my reins and elbowed Kaden. He eyed me with a bored look.

"She was not speaking of John. She meant you." I told him truthfully.

John whirled around in shock and took in the woman intently. Kaden looked stunned too for a moment before he turned back and saw the woman smiling intently at him.

"I have heard tales of you, Kaden." She said confidently. Kaden raised his brows and pulled his horse to a stop. "Now I know them to be truth." She said as she trailed her eyes across the size of him. Kaden looked lost but he finally let a lazy grin appear on his squared jaw.

In fairness we were often just harsh about his looks on purpose. He was not by any account ugly. Just simply a giant of a man. His closely cropped brown hair was almost military save for the stumble on his chin.

"I think I will take the evening for myself." He announced smugly to John and I. We both smirked at each other shamelessly and slapped his armoured shoulders. Kaden turned to the redhead below and offered her his hand. She took it with a smile and he used his other colossal arm to pluck her off the ground easily and set her on his horse behind him. She all but swooned in surprised happiness. 

John shook his head and threw Kaden a salute before turning his horse down the street. But before I joined John's retreat I whispered into Kaden's ear.