Lion Among Bears

"—When there was nothing more than the scent of your blood on that broken pier. Tayah, I waited for the moment you slept so I could— I truly need to tell you that I—I-"

The words circled my head again and again.

Water struck my face. I saw her eyes. The salt and grime from the spans before ran in streams. I saw her kneel before me. I dragged hands through my hair. She drew my chin up to meet her. I  scrubbed hard at my body and prone legs in the bath. 

"–find me your coordinates. Use the stars."

I needed to do better. I needed the old Tayah, the Lion. Not the self-pitying mortal. That was not me, it never was. If you believe yourself to be something for long enough... you just about become it. I had always been a fighter, one to outmatch and out think.

I needed the best version of myself to challenge Anselle. But it needed to be played correctly.

The corner of my lip edged up slightly for the first time in spans. The odds were predictably stacked, just how we preferred. Combat was not an option against her, I only needed to get my Valkyrie close enough.

A thump hit the cramped wash room door.

"No more time." A deep voice warned.

Indeed.

"I'll be right out." I said to the door, not bothering to raise my voice.

I dressed awkwardly, due to my barely usable legs. When I had spent too long and was finally adjusting my boots, the dark haired and thickly built escort barged in and lifted me with ease onto a broad shoulder.

I said nothing but utter a small grunt. It would be a waste of energy to burn on this irrelevance.

We made our way down a few candlelit, decadent halls before a set of doors were kicked open and the bright light of high sun hit us. I cursed and my eyes flashed shut for a moment. But my human-transporter cared little and continued to march his sack of grain up the wooden stairs to the top quarter deck.

Thankfully he lowered me rather than offloading me to the mercy of the hardwood.

Wordlessly he withdrew and I was alone on the deck with nothing but the sea breeze to whip back my damp hair. I stretched out my legs as obnoxiously as possible and leaned back on my arms to soak up the warm rays.

I'd be damned if I was meant to wait with bated breath like some wide-eyed rabbit.

I needn't wait long before the peace was broken.

"As much as I despise to interrupt natural beauty in action, I must request your attention Miss Ashrive." That familiar voice uttered from behind me.

I did not give her the satisfaction of a flinch or even what she wanted. My head remained angled towards the sun.

I hear boot steps move around me. "Oh, Tayah my dear. I truly hope your plan to entice my irritation out of indifference does not last. I am wounded truly."

My eyes opened at that. They landed on her smirk first.

Her outfit had adjusted once more into one of a light but finely fitted silk shirt that dropped low in a V shape and met by high-waisted black trousers. She bothered not with the flamboyant and obvious hats––she was by no means a trademark Captain any how.

"Did your face register any other expression over the centuries? Or is it just the snake's smile." I quipped, closing my eyes once more and enjoying the sun.