Damn The Gods

It took a moment for anyone to move.

A man had quite literally just been reduced to ash in front me.

"Hurry now." The Valkyrie said as she kicked the smoking pile of armour to one side. "We have less time when they realise they are missing a man."

"That is a nice way to put it." John said looking nauseous.

Kaden strode over to his bed and started attaching his shoulder pauldrons and fighting leathers. I shook out of my own daze and moved to my own bed to equip daggers to my thighs and my fighting leathers over my shoulders and chest. Finally my onyx hilted sword went over my back.

By the time I looked up, I saw both men watching me cautiously in their own armour with wary eyes.

"There will be time enough to speak of this. But for now, we have gold and a future for Vayleron. Let's go." I stated.

They threw the gold back over their shoulders and I took the travel sack. The Valkyrie stood watch at the open door wary over the guards rushing into other houses. Her shield and spear were back in place on her back but she kept her helmet strapped to her hip in favour of the dark hood she wore now.

"To the stables quickly. I will remove any threats along the way." She said without concern.

I dropped her a nod before stepping past her into the night.

Shouts were echoing around us along with screams and protest. They were tearing homes apart looking for us. Gods knew how they found the incriminating currency so swiftly in the Tavern... Perhaps they had eyes in there already.

"You four stop!" A female voice rung out over the night. 

I did not stop my stride, in fact I only moved faster as did John and Kaden. One however, broke from our group and approached unafraid. I did not even need to turn around to know.

I heard the female guard demand something and other guards with her draw steel. We kept up our walk for the stables. Then shouts echoed loudly behind us and the sound of metal against metal was brief.

Then silence again.

We rounded a building and almost collided into a group of six heavily armoured royal guards.

"Fuck." Kaden deadpanned.

They whirled on us with heavy set pikes and swords. We didn't even have time to draw our own weapons before a shadow dropped from the roof above and cut two of their throats. Blood spat outwards and flickered across my face.

I wiped at my eyes quickly and when I drew my gloved hand away, the rest of them were dead.

The Valkyrie cleaned her spear off on one of the fallen men's back. Her eyes took on a whole new glow when they looked up to find my own. I felt a cold spike of fear lash through me without warning. A complete novelty.

Then the eyes left me and she turned to lead the way for us.

She was something else entirely. Nothing short of unstoppable. The stories were so wrong about their true abilities. I thought as I stepped over the corpses and the men did the same.

"Do remind me to keep the Devil's sneeze away from her, won't you Tay?" John whispered next to me.

I gave him a wry smile that hid my own fear well.

"I cannot even guarantee my own safety, let alone yours my friend." I told him seriously.

Moments later we stood before the stables. I rushed over to Parsnip to rub him nose briefly and saddle him. Kaden and John found their own steeds and I assume the Valkyrie was assessing the other horses in the stalls to find one worthy.