End of the Trail

The air was cool this night. Calm. Only for the shifting wisps of the white curtains. I noted the silence and stillness with caution. It felt too deathly still. The moment before an ambush, an attack–

"You wear the lines of worry beyond your years, mortal." The goddess noted beside me. Her flowing blonde hair held in that trademark half flow down one side.

"You cannot feel it?" I murmured carefully.

She paused and took in the night that all but held its breath. Closing her silver eyes for a moment and sending out those sharpened senses. Then the star-like irises snapped open.

"Something is not right." She stated serious.

I snapped upright in adrenaline and made to grab my dagger before an arm dragged me back into the plush bed, then a snort sounded behind me.

"It's not right." She repeated. "–that you are so fearful of a band of poorly hygienic, overly-furred mortals at this span of night." She deadpanned.

I snapped my head around and glared darkly. "My nerves are on the edge of a cliff and you go right ahead and kick them off with a wave. Truly charming." I bit sarcastically out. "Do remember that the leader of this band happens to be a power deranged immortal, that has–gods know how many centuries in knowledge to track us down to the ends of the realm and back."

She rolled her eyes and nimbly jumped out the bed silently. My eyes followed her glorious form as it unceremoniously dragged my charcoal tunic over her head and proceeded to kick up her spear propped against the wall into a waiting hand. I must note that seeing my garment over her perfect curves was a sight but–

I swallowed the thought away.

"What are you doing now." I asked flatly.

"Guarding the realm of course." She smirked wryly back.

I groaned and moved to grab and launch a bed pillow at her. It all happened so slowly. You noted these moments because some part of you knows, somehow, they are about to rapidly end.

One moment it floats carefree and innocent. The next breath, I hear the loudest sound I have ever experienced erupt from the balcony wall.

Bright searing light, followed by heat hits me and throws me from the bed crashing into the opposite stone wall. I hit the ground hard and lose sense for moments. I make out rubble and dust surrounding me, falling on me. Then a shifting off the ground. I'm brought into sitting position and the brightest stars face me. I try and draw up a smile and greet them but I'm too far gone. My eyes drift shut.

My world is shaken again and more heat follows. Another bang this time lesser, more wooden?

I can feel a softer heat wrap around me, not the scorching fire that ripped through moments before. Once more I am aware of being moved, shifted, at pace. A high pitched shrill kept beating into my head and ears. I tried to focus on other senses. Like the touch of warmth and smell of pine and lavender–she smelt like that...

My body was heavy on the ground once more as I was laid down. Moments passed and I wondered if I drifted towards the underworld. Then... that familiar tingle. A spark at first... then raw energy flowing through my hand, my arm, into my very centre and singing with immortal energy. I sucked in a sharp breath and winced as a new beautiful feeling overtook the pain and replaced the dullness with sharp overload.

My body stirred in response and became alive once more. Sparked back from the dark, slow flow that clutched me towards something that tasted of forever and nothingness. My eyes flashed open faster than possible with a new sharpness. Strength rushed into me and my free hand sparked instantly with white vines of power. We were in an unfamiliar room that filled rapidly with smoke and heat. Explosions continued at the other side of the structure and I knew they had found us in force. Rubble fell from above and flames licked behind the walls.