Employment

I awoke without the ringing in my ears, feeling of nausea or a lover at my side.

I rolled in the corse canvas sheets we had on cheaply made beds. They creaked and caused more problems for your back than a pallet of rocks.

That will need to change with a few gold pieces...

I groaned and threw my legs out of the bed. I rolled my neck a few times and moved towards the dining area. We had scarcely furnished this house compared to our larger residence in the capital of Vayleron. The only issue with that accommodation was the infestation of assassins that took ownership over it after they soon discovered our presence. You see... a creed of assassins such as the one in Vayleron, does not much care for competition. By the gods did we create some competition for them... anyway—

I pulled a chipped cupboard door open to reveal a small sack of grain, three pieces of rotting fruit and a substance that I could not even identify.

I swore colourfully and smacked a hand against the counter. Of course I could not rely on the children to leave any form of non perishable sustenance behind.

My stomach growled in response.

I turned back towards my bed and pulled my dagger belt out from below the frame. I then pulled my travel cloak from the back of the door and paused before it. One more thing.

I walked over to the tell tale floor board and plucked it out. From the hole created I could make out six saddlebags safely lying under the floor still.

I put it back in place carefully and placed a nearby rug over the top for good measure.

Without delay I stormed out of the house and locked it swiftly. The crisp morning air woke my body up further and only seemed to make my hunger worse. Only a few people were wandering around in these early hours.

I went towards the market square. My favourite baker never failed to put his best loaves out despite the time. I rounded the final stone house and took in the familiar square. It was here we were most known by business owners and citizens alike. In fact, Calvin's bakery would not be functional had we not prevented the robbery of the grain store last Winter.

"Tayah Ashrive!" A throaty voice called out to my right. I turned to see Arno Myer, the local blacksmith waving a hammer in my direction.

I smiled broadly and turned in his direction.

"By Arno's hammer, if it is not my favoured blacksmith!" I called back.

He grinned at the compliment under a thick red beard. "Best not tell John of such a thing!" He retorted with a chuckle.

I wandered over and leant on a post of his building. I scanned my gloved hand. "He will recover. Perhaps I will need your assistance while I am in town though." I said seriously.

Arno's rosey cheeks brightened more as he eyed me curiously. "You know I have whatever you need. Perhaps a new set of daggers?" He enquired.

Usually he was on the money. I came frequently for knives and close combat weapons. The man could craft a damn fine blade.

"Actually, Arno I need something a little stronger."

He grinned broadly in response. "Now you speak my language!" He rumbled as he discarded his hammer to the anvil and set his meaty arms on it.

"I am in need a sword... something light but retaining its strength. Something that has versatile use in close and mounted combat." I finished.

His eyes were already running with possibilities and he held up a thickly gloved hand. "This will take a longer craft and some thought. I will perhaps utilise the very iron cast from broadswords but include a mould—"

"Whatever is necessary." I concluded for him.

He nodded. "I am afraid costs will increase due to design and materials."

"Not an issue." I stated. "I will also throw in extra coin if you can have this for me by week's end."

He gave me a toothy grin and threw out a hand. I took it and he shook tightly in agreement.

"See you by week's end, warrior of Ravensbrooke." He winked.

I rolled my eyes and adjusted my cloak. "And you, forger of kings."

He boomed a laugh in response and I took my leave in the direction of the bakers.

* * * * *

"Food!" Kaden boomed as he stood in the doorway of our home. I shook my head as I took in the giant, hungover tree.

"No thanks to you two." I said between a mouthful of bread and cheese.

"I was busy with a certain redhead until daybreak." Kaden boasted with a smirk.

"And I had the burden of entertaining four Bar maidens of great voluptuous chest—"

"Enough." I interrupted with a hand raised. "I desire my breakfast to stay in my stomach, thank you."

The men—no, boys took their seats at our small dining table and plated themselves with cheese, bread and ham.

I watched them both intently before I decided to get serious.

"I have word that the kings men will be passing through in two days." I stated.

John stopped mid-chew and Kaden choked on his drink.

"Easy lads." I raised my hands calmly. "Our faces are not on the bounty posters. They have no reason to linger here as long as we keep every piece of that gold in the floorboards." I said levelling them both intently.

"Goes without saying." John agreed after a swallow.

"No gold, no attention." Kaden pitched in.

"Good. I have also taken the liberty of picking up a small job for us to keep up pretences." I told them casually as I kicked my boots up onto the table.

"Tayah!" John spat out pieces out bread.

I flicked a piece off my arm with death in my eyes. "Keep the bread supply in your mouth you buffoon."

He scowled. "Have we not completed enough work for at least a month?"

"Agreed!" Kaden shouted.

I pinched the bridge of my nose. "Yes, let us just sit on our backs and spend copious amounts of coin without a care." I drawled.

"Exactly." John scoffed.

"Not exactly you horses ass!" I shouted.

Kaden sniggered. I slammed a hidden dagger into the lump of cheese he was about to pick up. They both flinched and then burst into giggling boys.

"We cannot throw careless coin around like a bunch of nobles because we do not want eyes on us days before the king's men show face here." I snapped. They sobered at this and listened a bit more attentively. "We keep up the pretences that we are mercenaries and not the richest people in Ravensbrooke. When the kings men pass we will spend more lucratively and make our way back to Vayleron as bloody kings. Until that point you both lie the hell low."

They both sighed before grumbling agreements. I nodded and leant back once again.

"So, what's the job?" Kaden questioned with a brow raise.

I gave him a half smile.

"Something with a little muscle needed and possibly a touch of devils sneeze."

The pair of them soon forgot their food and grinned at me like mad men.