A Duel With A Demi-God

I was debating the methods we would use to get the remaining saddlebags of gold off the ship with John, when a hand grabbed the back off my loosely fitting shirt and ripped me off my feet.

I crashed onto my back and sucked in a sharp breath.

John stared at me in shock before his eyes glared murderously at the being I knew was responsible. Even some sailors stopped their work in shock and watched us.

"Lay your hands on someone else—" His growl was cut short.

"Stay out of this, Keavesmith. I will kill you without hesitation." The immortal calmly stated.

I thought we had sorted our misunderstanding in her chamber out. Clearly I was mistaken because one of the strangely curved swords from the weapons rack, rattled to a stop between my feet. My eyes flew up to hers wide.

"What are you doing?"

Instead of answering she drew her own sword and brought it down in an arc at my head. I rolled away before it could sink through my skull.

Sailors began rushing to us in shouts and chaos but not to assist me. Gods forbid they were sane, helpful human beings... no they were urging the fight on! A circle of dozens was quickly forming and Nox led the cheer above the rest.

"A TUSSLE IT BE! THREE SILVR ON THA' LION!" He boomed, grinning savagely at my confused face.

The immortal strode over to me ignoring all of it. I rolled onto my own feet and left the sword on the deck.

"Would you just calm your mind!"

She lunged with the sword and I slipped by body sideways to avoid it being skewered. That didn't stop the elbow that whipped into my jaw and the kick that crashed into my stomach and took me off my feet with the power. The sailors raged and cheered. Nox being the loudest to show his contempt.

I groaned into the wood and felt my blood heat. I could feel some of it leak from my nose. I was naturally competitive and it was impossible not to feel the rage I felt crawl back into me in dangerous situations. But I did not want a public event. If my eyes changed... well hers were already a flat silver but they could be mistaken for grey in the sunlight.

I clamped my teeth together to fight the anger.

"I am not challenging you."

"Pick up the sword, Lion." She sneered the last part.

I spat at her boots and wiped my nose, seeing it return covered in crimson. She growled lowly and I saw those eyes burn. She stalked forward again and I prepared myself for the worst. But instead of running the blade through me she dropped into a crouch and grabbed my bloodied hand.

I frowned in confusion but suddenly felt the invisible rush of energy pass through her to me. The godlike power and feeling of eternity sang through my veins and made me feel light with undiluted strength.

"A grave error on your part." I murmured, watching her eyes take on a slightly weary appearance before I struck the centre of her torso with power I should not possess.

She flew back a metre and rolled to the edge of the circle of bloodthirsty sailors.

Nox roared out a cheer and beat a meaty hand against his bare chest.

"SEE LADS?! SEE THA' LION WIT' CLAW OUT!"

But I kept my eyes on the arrogant demi-god as she rose slowly to her feet shaking her blonde braided head. She rolled her neck, acclimatising to her lessened power and kicked a sword back into her hand.