Whole Once More

I remained staring at the space where the blonde of fury, beauty and lethality had departed.

She had loved me.

And I had no memory to reciprocate. What an impossible situation. I dragged a hand through my hair that hung in lost waves down my back.

I had come into existence in less than a span and already an immortal wanted my demise. I let out a groan and lifted my head skyward only seeing chandeliers holding many candles hanging above.

I drew my head back down and plucked up the discarded sword. I walked slowly up to the wall it belonged to and carefully hung it back in place with her many tools of death.

Whoever I was. This was still somehow familiar. Would anything else be kept...

I then noted the silver bowl full of the strange red orbs she had drawn up when she entered. Like habit. Curious, I approached them and let my hand trail it's edge. I caught the scent even from here.

A sweet and tangy aroma. It made my mouth water, but no pain of hungry ailed me. So I drew one up and held it before me, angling it slightly. I took a small bite and groaned.

Gods this was good. The taste. An explosion of rich, flavour—

"Enjoying the spoils I see." A deep and many voiced sound rang out.

I flinched out of my skin and whirled. A tall cloaked form twice my height appraised me. Nothing could be made out of facial features. It was unnerving and I felt the power in the air.

I cleared my throat—still broken from the immortal's handiwork.

"I—yes they seemed to smell so good I was curious." I got out, swallowing the juicy fruit. I set it down and wiped my hands quickly.

The dark form chuckled in a low timbre.

"Yes, there are many foods and beverages to experience here that are unattainable on the mortal realm."

I frowned at that. Then raised my head.

"I apologise if this comes off candour, but who are you?"

The form did not hesitate. "I rule over this realm and that of below." The voices stated plainly.

I felt my face heat and my blood sing a little louder.

"Fear not immortal. I have much to enlighten you with and much to teach. Mostly about yourself."

"That would be helpful... my last attempt did not fair so well." I trailed off, rubbing my neck.

"Yes, I was aware she would not go as far as to destroy you." The being said simply as it moved suddenly in disturbing swiftness until it was but a foot from me. My flinch again evoked a chuckle.

The reality warped around us and I saw a spectrum of colours flash before we arrived in a dark and even more grandiose hall.

A large throne lay at the end with windows that stretched all the way up to the stone arches above. But that is not what interested the ruler here.

It drew off to the side towards a strange blue glow. We neared it and I saw a large circular pool set into the ground.

"The pool of recollection." The black form announced. "You may seek out the past of any Valkyrie in this realm or—" and this is when it turned to me and watched deeply from the shadows. I felt a cold spike drive through me.
"This is not an option I make lightly. What I am about to offer you comes high in price and it's rarity. You have proven yourself true in heart and warrior spirit. You have also brought out the best in one of my own, it ails me deeply to witness it carve away at my daughter."
I chewed the inside of my lip and dragged my eyes towards the pool. Not only an upset immortal, but the god too. Glorious work for one span.
"—I delve into the pool alongside you and you may relive any and all memory possessed in your mortal life. Time is no burden here. But I caution you, sometimes knowing is a poison in it's own right. There will be things you left behind that you cannot return to. The choice, as always, is yours immortal."