Revelations

I continued to stare at the otherworldly goddess.

But my death did not come. I was more than sure that she could have ended me at a moments notice but–

I did not finish the thought. Because two idiots came charging out of the forest a moment later shouting to high hell. 

You have got to be kidding me...

She turned and beheld my two companions charging towards us with swords raised and a war cry. Clearly they too had thought this warrior was about to end my life.

She made no move to change into a fighting stance which confused me greatly. Her face was an emotionless mask. Kaden and John finally realised this on approach and slowed somewhat to a limping jog. After all, John's shoulder was caked in his own blood with an arrow in it and Kaden looked to have seen better days. I was not surprised they had dispatched the archers in the woods that quickly.

They frowned between us and cautiously came to either side of my prone form. Kaden offered me a giant hand and I took it with my good arm and carefully got to my feet.

We were at a loss. But John could not seem to maintain the silence.

"Who in the hells are you?" He stated bluntly.

I almost choked in shock. This was hardly someone you wished to insult after what I had just witnessed.

She shook her head as if expecting this. It only confused me more.

"As eloquent as ever, John Keavesmith." Her melodic voice was as warm as honey. A stark contrast to the killer I had just seen.

John paled and stared wide eyed.

"I know of you?" He mumbled bewildered.

"No. But I know of you." She responded. "And you, Kaden Naferion. And you, Tayah Ashrive." She finished crossing her arms before her.

We all stared at her like open mouthed fish. What in the gods...

"What are you." I demanded.

Kaden flinched slightly, looking sideways at me in question. I ignored him and continued to stare at this otherworldly creature. Her silver eyes seemed to brighten at my demand and I had to remind myself to keep a tab on my anger.

"I am a Valkyrie." She said simply as if that was a sane response.

John was the first to break the silence with a snort. "And I am Odin." He drawled with an eye roll.

Her eyes flicked over him unimpressed. "You, certainly are not." She stated.

He looked at her with a flat expression. "Well you have all the wit of a–"

"John." I warned. He cast an amused look over to me but I shook my head to tell him not to press. I looked back to the... Valkyrie.

"If what you say is true. Why are you not in... Valhalla?" I asked carefully. 

I wasn't even sure why I entertained this. It was completely ludicrous. I was even saying the words aloud. The child's tale of the land of Valhalla and the great Valkyrie's that inhabited and protected it. I was supposed to believe that one stood before me now? Please.

"Because of you." She stated a little bitterly, staring right at me. I flinched. It was a disconcerting thing to be looked at by a pair of bright silver eyes. It felt as if they had seen far too much.

"Why is that?" I murmured, lost in the endless burning stars.

She looked at me disbelieving. "Gods you mortals are so dim..." She muttered shaking her head. "Were Odin's words not plain enough for you?"