27

Every Rose Has Its Thorns ~ 27

Word count: 2111

*Charlie's POV*

Bella came down stairs this morning, a leather bound note book in hand. Her face held concern and I could tell she hadn't slept well last night. She walked straight passed me and to the kettle where she continued to make herself what seemed to be a very, very strong coffee.
"Bells are you feeling ok?" I wasn't sure what to say. I've never really been one for social interaction. But I had to try. She is my daughter after all.
"Yeah Dad. I'm fine. I just couldn't sleep that's all." She sighed while running her hand through her messy bed hair. I knew there was something else bothering her, but I didn't want to pry. So I asked a different question.
"What's with the note book thingy?" Bella looked down at the old, tattered book and slid it across the kitchen table to me. Her eyes, dull and lifeless, glanced in my direction yet did not make eye contact.
"It's my diary that I've kept this last year. You need to read it. And when you've finished, you need to go see Billie Black and the other Quillettes. Then after that, you need to pay the Cullens a visit. I'll be at school. If it gets too much. Then stop. But you need to talk to Billie and Carlisle. They'll clear things up for you." She explain as she began to put on her brown jacket with a slightly fluffy hood.
"Bye Charlie." And with that, she left.
I picked up the book and turned to the first page. Her scrawly handwriting resembled my own and I felt strange - and like an outsider - as I looked in on her life. Why would she want me to read her diary? Aren't they supposed to be private and full of deep dark secrets? I'm not sure I even know what teenagers think like these days. I took a deep breathe and began to read.

Dear Diary,
Today was my first day at Forks High. I didn't want to come. My mom and I left this little town for a reason...and now I'm back. I miss my old life back in Pheonix. Even if i had no friends and it was just me, my mom and Phil. Even if I could hardly stand the sun and the blazing heat, it was still home and I still miss it. Charlie's great, don't get me wrong. Hell he bought me a truck. But I'm just not sure I'm ready for all this change. I'm not sure I'm ready to be the Sheriff's daughter or the new kid on the block.
But I sucked it up and walked in through the main doors. A bubbly brunette strolled right over to me. She hardly left me alone. I then came to find out she was Jessica. We soon became friends. This led me to become part of her friend ship group and I met a load of New people. But there was this one guy. One guy who caught my eye but he didn't seem to be friends with Jess or the others.
Jess said he was called Edward Cullen. Apparently his Dad works closely with the Sheriff's department. Edward Cullen. My heart sped up just hearing his name. He was gorgeous. His brown, almost copper hair shone and I swear his skin almost glittered when the slightest ray of sun bounced off him.
He was pure perfection. There was no other word known to man that could have discribed him better. Perfect.

I still wasn't sure why I was reading this. It was private. And to be honest, I didn't want to know what my daughter was thinking about that Edward boy. A father shouldn't be reading their kids private journal. I shook it off and continued.

Dear diary,
I'm infatuated with him. He is silent and gorgeous. He rarely speaks, but when he does, his voice sounds like bells and he talks with a sense of maturity and seriousness.
He has a sister. Well two, but only one likes me. Her name is Alice and I think, she might be my new best friend. If i thought Jessica was up front, then I clearly wasn't ready to meet Alice Cullen.
As I'm spending more and more time with them, I begun to realise that they aren't a normal family.
They never eat. Like ever.
They all have bags under their eyes that you can only see if you look close enough. It's like they haven't slept in a year... or two.
But most importantly, they are so cold. When I touched Edward's hands yesterday, they were like ice. And yet he said he wasn't cold.
I don't know what to think.