28

Every Rose Has Its Thorns ~ 28

Word count: 3259

*Charlie's POV*

We all walked outside to the back yard which led in to the forest. Creepy, I know. I looked on in confusion and uncomfortable silence as Jacob Black began to undress.
"I don't really think you need to strip Jacob." I scowled .
"He does. Don't forget the sneakers Jake. I am not buying you anymore shoes so do not destroy these." Billie complained. Destroy? How quickly does the boy go through shoes? I haven't even bought Bella any shoes since she has been here. I should probably get her some more shoes. And some new tops or maybe some jewellery. Or makeup? I could take her for a meal. We don't get much time now to be father and daughter. Maybe that's why she makes all of this up. To get my attention. Maybe I'm not showing her how much I do care about her and it's getting to her. I know her mother, Renée, would always shower her with praise, love, affection and attention.
"Dad are you even listening right now?" She scowled and clicked her fingers in my face.
"What? I mean um yeah of course." Her face fell as she turned away and began to pick up seemingly most of Jacob's clothes. Thank God he still had his boxers on.
"Unbelievable." I heard her mutter as she walked away in to the kitchen. I could faintly hear her pulling some thing out of the fridge and then the unmistakable sound of a can of beer being popped. This girl. What was she thinking? Underage drinking!? Come on, I'm the Sheriff. Does she really think she can get away with that? Not on my watch.
Just as I was about to go in there and stop her, Jacob's hand was clasped around my biscep.
"Mr Swan, you have to watch this ok? Forget what ever Bella is doing right now and pay attention. This is important and not something that you should be dismissing so easily." He all but growled. Hold on - he just growled. Like actually growled as if he was a dog.
"Ok. Show me what ever it is you want to show me. But make it fast Jake. I don't have all day."
"For this, you do." Billie retorted.
My face hardened but I kept my mouth shut. The quicker this was over, the quicker I could go and stop my daughter from drinking.
Eyes on Jake, I began to feel quizzey. What was he going to show me.
Then, before my eyes, Jacob's briefs tore as he jumped in to the air. His muscles rippled and his face froze with a look of pain. And then it was over. His feet landed silently on the ground. Except, they weren't exactly feet any more.
Where Jacob's large feet would have been, was replaced with two pairs of paws. Like, of a wolf type of paw. My eyes travelled up to where his chest normally was and I was greeted with the body of a large, bronze coloured wolf.
Then I heard a growl. My eyes shot up to meet his. I was frozen in place. This wasn't real. It couldn't be. It's all a trick. He took one step forward. And then another. And one last one. Now we stood, face to chest (he was a tall wolf ) and reality came crashing down.
Jacob Black was a werewolf.
Which meant that Isabella's diary was right.
Edward Cullen would turn out to be a glittering vampire.
And now we were caught in the cross fire.
"Well. That proves it. I've gone crazy. Surely." I stammered as I raised my hand. His fur was soft and silky. My face became flushed with heat as I could practically feel it pulsing off of him in constant waves.
"You aren't crazy. I promise old friend. Now how about we go and pay the Cullens a friendly visit. Jake, we'll meet you there. Bella is already with them and she has a spare change of clothes there waiting for you." With that, Billie began to wheel himself to my squad car.
"And Charlie?" He called
"Yeah Billie?"
"You're driving." He grinned like a madman.

***

"So...let me get this right. You all come from all over the world and yet you claim to be family? And you are all vampires? And humans aren't supposed to know about Vampires unless they have a death wish ot can manage to keep quite about it all? That sound about right Carlisle?" I asked. Being in a room of cold blooded vampires gave me the willies. Don't they all want to bite my back and drain me of my blood?
"Ahem. Yes. In a way.  We are all family by choice. We are the majority of vampires that do not drink human blood and prefer to call ourselves vegetarians. This is because we choose to drink the blood of animals in order to sustain a healthy living environment. With us not killing people for dinner every week, it makes it easier to stay in one place for as long as we can.
Many of us here were created by some one else in the room. As I'm sure you know from Bella's diary entries. While others, like Jasper and Alice, came from slightly different vampire backgrounds but managed to find peace living like we do and wished to become a part of the family.
And to answer you final question, yes. Humans are not supposed to know about us unless they are being changed or the Volturi have deemed it allowable. It is dangerous for both Vampires and Werewolves for humans to know because, no offence, your kind do not tend to keep secrets very well. Just look at all the gossip magazines -"
"Or the Kardashians." Emmett cut in.
"As I was saying," Carlisle began again, "the only humans that know, are you and Bella. Humans do know, but they are kept under careful scrutiny by the Volturi." Ok. Ok. Soooo me and Bella know about Vampires and so do people who come from werewolf blood lines but no other humans do? And if they do, they will eventually be eaten by basically the vampire Royal Family? Not crazy at all.
"Ok. Prove it." Bella sighed as she shifted to sit on top of Rosalie's lap. What the.
"Bella? Rosalie? Before this conversation continues, is there something you want to tell me?" I looked them both in the eyes and raised my left eyebrow.
I wasn't bothered about Bella being gay. Or Rosalie. Or anyone. But I am bothered when some one gets too close to my little girl. Boy or girl. Edward or Rosalie, I'm still her father and I am still protective.
Bella stiffened and began to get off of Rosalie. "No erm-" but Rose cut her off.
"Yes. Mr Swan, I am truely, deeply, madly infatuated with your daughter. She is the light that feeds the sun. She is the stars that fill up the sky and she is the love that I feel hopelessly burning through my viens every passing second. She is the person I want to hold and cherish forever and I would not ever let anything happen to her. Because I love her." She proudly stated as she wrapped her arms round my daughter and held her close.
I got to hand it to her, that was a beautiful response.
"Hmmmm." I looked at them again.  Bella looked so calm, happy and content with Rose and I couldn't lie, they looked so cute together.
"Carlisle, your proof please."