Chapter 11 - A Morning in the City

The next morning, Feng Yao sleepily awoke with half-opened eyes. As she blankly stared at the wall, she remembered what she was supposed to do today.

Got to go...find the legendary strategist....for the Emperor....before he kills me....Ugghhhhhhh....

Even just the thought of having to do such an arduous task made her groan as she let her body flop back onto the fluffy bed. Her eyes closed once more and let the relaxing darkness fall over her like a cool blanket.  

Suddenly in the silent room, a hesitant cough sounded out. Feng Yao's eyes snapped open. All traces of sleep were gone as she quickly sat up. As she scanned the room, her heart suddenly stopped as she saw a ghost standing politely in the corner.

"Holy dear mother of heaven's second oldest brother's daughter's twin cousin--!!" 

Feng Yao's loud cursing was cut off as the female ghost jumped in fright at her abrupt outburst. 

In a tearful voice, the ghost pleaded, "Young Miss! Please don't scare me like that!"

Feng Yao blankly stared back at the ghost. Ghost? She quickly rubbed her eyes harshly with her hands before blinking silently at the ghost.

Ah? It's a servant girl. I must be more tired than I thought....

La di da di da~ Nothing happened, nothing at all. Yes, Feng Yao. You are completely sane~

Clearing her throat, Feng Yao proceeding to act like she hadn't just been cursing at this girl moments ago in her head.

"Yes? Did you need something?"

The servant bowed before respectfully saying, "Young Miss, the Emperor has ordered me to show you the way out of the palace. There is a secret pathway that the servants use so that you may leave without others noticing."

"...All right. Let me get ready first." 

Feng Yao quickly freshened herself up and changed into a pair of new robes that the servant girl brought earlier. They were a pale blue almost the color of the morning sky and also quite easy to move in. Since Feng Yao wasn't planning on dressing up, she simply twisted up a small section of her hair up with a cheap hair pin while the rest flowed easily behind her. 

She nodded to the servant girl and they both set out of the palace towards the bustling city. When they arrived on the crowded streets, the servant girl bowed towards her.

"This is as far as I've been instructed to go. His Majesty has also ordered me to pass along this message: Do not even think about running. You know the reason why."

Feng Yao gave an awkward smile at that. "So sorry you had to hear about our argument! Don't worry. I will keep his words in mind."

As the servant turned around and left, Feng Yao chuckled. "So Your Majesty is now using servants to threaten me? How worried you must be about me running off."

Now then. How shall I go about getting out of this mess?

Feng Yao had spent the entire walk earlier thinking about what she should do next.

Option One. I could escape right now. However, I doubt that I'd get very far before the imperial guards would find and bring me back.

She sighed. 

Plus, I also can not leave my dear friend still stuck in the palace. Although...I can't seem to get a grasp on how much he actually realizes is going on right now.

Then there's option two. Play along with the Emperor and figure out what he wants. But that seems like it could become bad really quick.

Feng Yao let out a groan and hid her face into her hands. A full minute passed before she suddenly lifted her head with eyes full of conviction.