18

I look around and smile. We've finally made it to the state where the cure is! The only scary part is that there are zombies crowded on every corner. Jackson slows the van down to a stop as quiet as he can and turns of the ignition.

" What do we do?" Ryan asks, looking out the windows. I sigh.

" We do what we came here to do." I shot back. " Take the back road Jackson. " I say, pointing to the left at an empty small road close to a building.

Jackson nods before starting the car and slowly driving to the left. All the zombies seem as if they're distracted by their own presence. They're bumping into each other and stumbling around. If everything was normal, I could almost picture them as drunk people.

As we're riding along the back road Ryan plays with my hair while he looks out the window. I squeeze his hand. We can make it. We're headed to Broadville Bacteria Breach. It's a well known research hospital, not for patients to go but just for doctors to study infectious diseases and illnesses.

" How far are we away?" Peter asks.

" Well we just arrived to Washington. It'll be another four to five hours away." Kayla says, writing in her journal.

" Can you hand me some snacks?"  Sierra asks.

I laugh, before reaching into the back and pull out a bag of doritos. I take a few before giving the bag to her. Ryan takes one from me and eats it.

" I need a nap." Natalie says. Peter smirks.

" Yeah, me too. Last night was so rough." Peter adds. I raise a brow to Natalie.

Her and I definitely need some girl time together once this is all over. She has a lot to tell me about Peter. I gaze out the window and notice there isn't a lot of zombies on this road.

" Maybe we can pull over into one of these houses and rest?" John yawns. The houses seem secure and safe.

" I agree." I say, feeling sleepy.

Jackson starts to pull into the driveway and we all ease out as quiet as possible. Ryan goes to the door, with me right behind him. Luckily, the front door is unlocked. No one seems to be home. Peter claps his hands but nothing shuffles out or makes a noise. It's a three bedroom, two story house with two bathrooms.

" We should stay here an relax today and make out journey in the morning." Kayla says to us as we're sitting in the living room.

" We need to get there as soon as possible." John says. She nods

" I know but we need to have a lot of energy because who knows what lyes ahead of us. When we reach the place where the cure may be. We don't know what's inside." She's replies. The rest of us nod in agreement.

" Come on, Ryan." I say standing up and holding my hand out to him. He grabs it, standing up.

" Where to?" He asks.

" Upstairs. I'm gonna lay down and I want cuddles." I say, not caring that I announced it in front of the whole group.

" Awe okay."

Ryan says, following me up the steps. They creak with each step we take. I knock on the door before opening it. Nothing comes out. This house must be empty. Thank goodness. I can't help but wonder about the people. Were they going grocery shopping and got attacked while out in the mess? Were they visiting family or friends? I'll never know.

The bedroom is decent sized with light green walls. The bed is a queen size and I fall back on it. Ryan comes in and shuts the door then turns around to look at me.

" Why are you so cute?" He asks, watching me as he steps closer.

I blush, replying: " You're the cute one." He grins and crawls on top of me.

" What's this I heard about you wanting cuddles?" He asks, kissing on my face.

" Yes." I state, wrapping my arms around him, pulling him close as I do.

He holds me close to his chest and strokes my hair. This is definitely one of the best feelings in the world. I close my eyes and enjoy the comfort from him.

" I miss Callan." I say quietly. He let's out a soft sigh.

" Me too. He's like a son to me." Ryan replies in a sad tone.

My heart melts right then and there. I felt the exact same way.

" Ryan." I say. He looks at me skeptical.

" Yes?" He asks. I smile.

" I love you."

††††
Thanks for reading!! I hope you liked it. Don't forget to Vote, Comment, and Share! To all those who do, I really appreciate it! :D