9.

Elliot's P.O.V

The DX had a kinda buzzing sound that came from the air conditioner. It smelled mainly of gas, like most gas stations did and it never had many customers but there was just enough to keep us busy.

Most of the customers came for Soda and were girls, honestly it seemed desperate to me.

I swear I've never gotten as many dirty looks in my life than I have working one day at that DX. I was just waiting for some girl to say something.

It was after school and my first day since I took the job. I wore jeans along with the blue button up that the boys wore but tucked into my jeans.

I stood behind the Cash register of the store.

Dallas and I had talked out what happened the other day AND he apologized. Which was new for Dallas, I don't think I've every heard him say sorry.

I was off in a daydream when the bell on the door rang and someone walked in.

I shook off what I was thinking about and looked over to see Cole had come in.

I smiled, biting my lip. Cole and I had been gradually getting closer, even though we've only been on one date.

"Hey Elliot" he smiled, walking up to the cashier and resting his arms on the counter.

"Hey Cole" I said back as two Soc girls came in and looked around abut before spotting us and making their way over.

"Hi" one of them said in a snobbish way "we need an oil change".

"Great, I'll ring that up for ya" I said, looking over to the register and typing in the necessary things and prices.

"That'll be forty" I looked back at her.

She nodded and pulled out her money.

The other girl looked to Cole "Cole, why are you hanging out with this Greaser trash?" She sneered, causing the girl paying to giggle.

Its only my first day and this has already happened, I scoffed  "excuse you"

Cole opened his mouth but Soda cut him off this time.

It seemed like a lot of people had been cutting each other off lately.

"Is there a problem?" Soda asked, looking over at me and then to the girls and Cole.

"If you're here to see him, you got your glimpse now scram" I said, pushing her money back to her.

"She's so much more than what you think of her" someone said who I thought was Cole but looked up to see both of the girls staring at Soda like he had lost his mind.

The girl looked down at her money "I came here for an oil change".

"Well your hospitality isn't wanted here" Soda said.

Cole picked up the money from the counter and handed it to the girl "you heard him, get outta here".

She rolled her eyes, taking the money and nodding to the other girl that they were leaving.

They walked out leaving the three of us standing there.

"You alright Cherry?" Soda asked concerned.

I don't think I've been asked if I'm okay so much until I've met Soda.

"Yeah, yeah Im fine. I don't think I'll ever get use to being called trash though" I laughed wryly

Soda pressed his lips together "don't worry about them Cherry, they just wanna cause trouble ... anyways we're gettin ready to close for the day"

I nodded "alright" and began to close up the register.

Soda nodded and went back to the garage to help Steve.

"Hey Elliot, I'm really sorry about them" Cole said, rubbing the back of his neck.

"It's fine" I shrugged.

"Well I should probably get going, I'll see you at school tomorrow okay?"

"Yeah, I'll see you tomorrow"

He waved off to me and walked out of the store

I closed the register and cleaned up the counter for the next day.

I walked to the door and opened it, a cool breeze hit me in the face. Good thing I forgot my jacket.

I shivered a bit and walked through the door, pulling it closed behind me and wiggling the key into the key slot, locking the doors.

Soda and Steve were just closing the garage area as I walked up.

I brought my hand up to my arm and rubbed it frantically like it was gonna warm me up.

"Ready?" Steve asked

"Yeah, lets go" I nodded, scrunching my nose at how cold it was.

"You need a jacket?" Soda asked, noticing I was shivering.

I shook my head "I'm okay, I'm fine" I tried to assure him.

He rolled his eyes and peeled off his zip up jacket which he had a flannel on under and opened it so I could put my arms in it.

"Soda I'm fine!" I reassured him, not wanting him to get cold but he just stood there with it open.

"Is there anyway I can get you to keep it?"

He simply shook his head.

"Ugh fine" I said, turning towards him and slipped my arms through the jacket.

" ... thank you" I zipped up the jacket.

"Hey Soda, you still comin to that drag race tonight? I know you were suppose to go with ..." Steve asked, stopping before he said her name.

Soda nodded "yeah, yeah I'll go with Evie and you." He said and looked up quickly "actually ... Cherry do you wanna go?"

"To a drag race? Yeah of course I'll go! I don't know how long its been since I've been to one" I turned to him happily.

"Okay cool" he smiled "we're gonna get dressed and head out in a few minutes" Soda said as we pulled up to the Curtis house.

"Okay ... Hey Soda?"

"Yeah?" He asked, Steve already walking inside.

"Think I can keep this jacket for tonight?" I wondered.

He smiled softly "yeah go ahead, I got another inside" he said as we walked into the house.