33.

Elliot's P.O.V
(This chapter will be short!! It focuses on Johnny and Elliot)

The next day I decided to stay home from school so Johnny would have someone there when he woke up. He was in no condition to be alone.

It was about twelve in the afternoon when Johnny finally woke up.

I was sitting on the chair next to the couch when a low groan came from the couch. I looked over to see Johnny roll over and slowly sit up.

He rubbed his eyes and looked over at me, slumping back down onto the couch.

"How ya feelin kid?" I asked softly, pushing myself up off the chair and into the kitchen. I got a cup and poured some water into it then brought it back and sat it down in front of him along with a few aspirins.

"Not too good" he said, squinting at the light. He picked up the water and the aspirin and took them, gulping down the water within seconds.

"Slow down there pal" I chuckled softly.

He rubbed his head and then winced when he realized the cut on his forehead.

"Don't rub your left cheek too hard either, you've gotta pretty nasty scar" I half-smiled.

He looked over to me "thanks for staying with me Ell, you really didn't have to".

"It's no trouble" I assured him "the whole gang is real worried about ya. You're real banged up Johnny, you outta go splash some water on your face".

He nodded and slowly got up off the couch and limped over to the bathroom. I heard the sink begin to run for a few minutes before it was turned off and Johnny came back.

"Hey, why don't you go ahead and take that shirt off, I'll go ahead and wash it for you and give you one of Ponyboys shirts" I offered.

He nodded as I walked to Ponyboy and Sodas room and picked up a clean shirt of Ponyboys. I walked back out and took Johnny's blood stained white shirt from him and handed him Pony's.

I walked it to the washer and started another load of clothes, throwing the white tee in too.

I walked back and sat back down on the chair and waited for him to say something.

"I don't think I've ever been so scared before ... seeing that blue Mustang with those four Socs pile out of it" he shivered.

"Hey, they ain't gonna mess with you again Johnny. We ain't gonna let them, ya dig?"

Johnny nodded and looked back up at me "you know somethin Ell, ever since you came around everyone seems happier ... as much as they can be in these conditions at least. You know Soda was always happy-go-lucky , but you could always tell somethin was missin" he smiled softly "and Ponyboy didn't really have anyone to talk to about movies or even books before you. Steve never had a sister before, I know he thinks of you like one. Two-Bit ... well I think he's laid off the booze a bit more. Maybe tryna be respectable around ya" he said, stopping short.

He took a few breaths before continuing "Darry's got some more help around the house, all three of those boys do. Gee, I feel really comfortable around you. Not that I don't the rest of the gang, but you make me feel ... safe" he said, his face turning a soft red "and Dally ... well he never said a word about you before you came, but I think that's cause he missed ya too much to talk about ya. I can tell how hard you're trying to keep him in line, I hope it works. Dallas could use some guidance".

"Awe Johnny ... ya gonna make me turn soft" I grinned "that means a lot though, thank you" I nodded to him.

"I think you're kinda like a mother figure, keepin us in line."

"I ain't ever thought of it like that Johnnycake. Heck I ain't ever thought i would have acted that way towards anyone" I shrugged softly "I though I would've been here for a month at most before I got kicked outta another school" I winced.

"I'm glad you didn't leave, I like havin you around"

"I like havin you guys around" I smiled.